Another boat fire.....

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
"I suspect a large number of the 55% of boat fires that are electrical in nature (source ABYC & USCG data) are the result of this antiquated and unsafe twist-lock standard we currently use. Of those 55% of boat fires nearly 54% of that number is caused by "shore power". That means that nearly 25% of all boat fires start in the shore cord/power system. Wow!!!!!" [Credit at the link in MS's reply above.]

OK, but there are TENS of THOUSANDS of twist-lock cords out there. How many total boat fires per year at US marinas? More than 100? Say (100 boat fires/year x 0.25 cords at fault) /10,000 cords in operation = 0.25% of twist-lock cords causing boat fires per year. Admittedly, I'm guessing about the number of boat fires/year and the number of cords. But at 1 boat fire/day = (365/yr x 0.25)/10,000 = 0.91%. Raise by a factor of 10 the number of cords, then it's 0.091%. The failure rate of the twist-lock cord does not appear high. Perhaps that's why they are "still with us."

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
"I suspect a large number of the 55% of boat fires that are electrical in nature (source ABYC & USCG data) are the result of this antiquated and unsafe twist-lock standard we currently use. Of those 55% of boat fires nearly 54% of that number is caused by "shore power". That means that nearly 25% of all boat fires start in the shore cord/power system. Wow!!!!!" [Credit at the llink in MS's reply above.]

OK, but there are TENS of THOUSANDS of twist-lock cords out there. How many total boat fires per year at US marinas? More than 100? Say (100 boat fires/year x 0.25 cords at fault) /10,000 cords in operation = 0.25% of twist-lock cords causing boat fires per year. Admittedly, I'm guessing about the number of boat fires/year and the number of cords. But at 1 boat fire/day = (365/yr x 0.25)/10,000 = 0.91%. Raise by a factor of 10 the number of cords, then it's 0.091%. The failure rate of the twist-lock cord does not appear high. Perhaps that's why they are "still with us."
The failure rate is significantly higher than the boat fire rate. Many of them are caught before they start a fire. I catch 6-12 per year and I am in Maine where 90% of my customers are on moorings..

Still, other than shorts in wiring, and a lack of over current protection, the next highest number of fires on boats are started by shore power cords not by LPG or gasoline etc.... Trying to justify the use of a product with such a high failure rate is of little use to a person who has lost a life or a boat to a fire caused by a shore power cord failure..

We now have a better mousetrap....:wink:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The folks from Smart Plug were set up at the Annapolis Boat show. A few things really struck me about their shore-cord product.
  1. The size and gauge of their plug conductor blades are very large compared to the Marinco plug.
  2. The plug engages and locks with the receptacle quickly and very securely.
  3. You can orient and engage the plug to receptacle by feel. (pointy end up).
It really is a superior product. Now I just need to convince myself to replace my working gear with +$600 of Smart Plug gear...

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Raise by a factor of 10 the number of cords, then it's 0.091%. The failure rate of the twist-lock cord does not appear high. Perhaps that's why they are "still with us."
Personally I don't think I'd buy something and put it in my house if 1 in 1000 of the ones sold burnt people's houses down.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
. . . Now I just need to convince myself to replace my working gear with +$600 of Smart Plug gear...
$177.32 (30 Amp) from Amazon for boat side and cord end. Hence - no excuses now!

Charles

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
2* $177= $354... plus 2 additional receptacles ($250) for my forward shore connection (I have fore/aft connections). All up, I need to spend `$600 (and a day's labor) to change out.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
2* $177= $354... plus 2 additional receptacles ($250) for my forward shore connection (I have fore/aft connections). All up, I need to spend `$600 (and a day's labor) to change out.
so are both sets within 10 ft of the main breaker connection i just have to ask

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Just looking at the website, Marinco is a company selling world-wide in 110 countries with many products including some with, evidently, design upgrades to their power cords over the basic, low-tech, version I have now, etc. It'd be nice to know how many 30-amp cords are out there. Any product can degrade in the marine environment. I question whether the problem is the cord's basic design or the lack of care many owners display toward maintenance. It takes A LOT of money to keep a boat up with service and replacement of worn or broken parts or components. A old, worn-out cord is just another item that can lead to damage if not maintained/replaced. Personally, I usually don't even leave the power turned-on to the boat when I'm off. The power cord is not even plugged in at the dock most of the time. A cord might go bad through neglect and cause a fire; but if no one is killed or badly damaged, how is that different in principle (not severity) from neglecting a hose until it finally "corrodes through" causing the boat to sink--maybe even with somebody on it? My guess is far more boats sink at the dock than actually catch fire there due to bad cords.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
When you consider that AC & DC electrical systems represent 55% of all boat fires with 30% of the 55% from AC or DC shorts and 11% from shore power connections you quickly realize that gasoline power boat fires barely even rate in comparison to electrical fires...

I suspect any argument of segregation of might want to start with boats not in electrical compliance and boats that use yellow "twist-lock" shore cords...:biggrin:
In 35 years of boating I've had only 2 incidents that made me think of fire:
1. Twist lock cord that started to melt. It was loaded up pretty good with a winter heating load. Other than the design debate, corrosion in the connectors is a prime cause. A regular treatment with something like Corr-Block or water proof grease is smart, regardless of the design (you should do this with home extension cords as well). Though I replace the cord later, I cleaned it up and lubed it just to see what would happen, and all heating stopped. The only way any coupler can heat is if there is a voltage drop, and most of the time that is going to be corrosion, though wear can also contribute.
2. A fan started to smoke while we were off-shore. Got our pulse going. It was not over-amped and the fuse did not blow. Another fan (same age and brand) started to smoke several days later. We replaced all 4 at the next chandlery.

CHM

Oct 30, 2011
Beneteau 432 Merritt Island
Thanks for the info on Smart Plug. Never heard of it until now and I have had issues with twist lock design. First was a scorched and melted shore cord and receptacle on the boat. I replaced them and recently noticed there was some torque on the plug from the weight of the cord. I disconnected it and the receptacle on the outer bulkhead fell apart due to 2 of the screws being pulled out of the body of the receptacle. The whole thing fell apart! I rebuilt it but am wary of the design. I will be upgrading to Smart Plug ASAP. Thanks MS. I always look forward to you sharing your experience with the forum.

Oct 13, 2015
Seidelmann Seidelmann 25 Virginia
Scrolling through the interwebs I saw a "boat fireplace" for sale. Let's throw that in the mix... I'm sitting in my yard stoking a small log fire in a chimney pit with guards on wet tile with a garden hose AND fire extinguisher handy because I'm a little wary of song my neighborhood ablaze. .. I didn't think a fireplace in my boat would be a good purchase for my mental wellbeing if for nothing else. ..

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Thanks everyone and Mainsail especially for the info on the smart plugs. I don't use my shorepower other than to vacuum the water system in the fall prior to pumping antifreeze through. Just the same I think I will put this on my things to upgrade list. Other than the water witch float switch ( Nice recommendation MS) and bilge pump nothing has power unless I'm aboard. Just the same it would be nice to upgrade just because I might like it someday. Kinda like a storm jib. Have it just in case and hope you never need it.