Adventures with a Beneteau faucet

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
After recommissioning the water system this year I noticed my galley faucet was leaking around its body and base. It’s a single handle faucet with a rotating spout.
1714684050738.jpeg

Water was coming out the seams in the body around where the spout part rotates, and also dripping out the base into the cabinet below.

First I figured I’d take it apart and clean up the seals. Problem 1 was disassembly. The handle comes off the top and the mixing cartridge is accessible there easily enough, but that didn’t provide any access to the seals around the spout body. Next I took the faucet off the counter (including some boat yoga to get at the nut holding it down). After that I could unscrew the bottom part of the body, and the spout came off the bottom revealing the seals. I cleaned them off and put some silicone grease on them. Not wanting to reach around the cabinet more than needed I tested the faucet just connecting it to the supply lines out in the cabin. No leaks! “That was an easy boat job! I’ll just put the faucet back in the counter and hook everything back up like normal.” Except after I did that and moved the spout a few times it started leaking again :facepalm:.

I checked the Beneteau Spare Parts site and they list the faucet as a Nobili made faucet available from them for $122, but needing to be shipped from France in 2-12 weeks. :confused: Ok, off to the hardware store for a suitable replacement. One nice new faucet later I got back to the boat to continue the process. Next obstacle - hmmm, this faucet that’s made in Italy for my French boat has hoses that don’t fit my new American faucet. Ok, off to the hardware store with the fittings from the supply lines to find a couple hoses. Now the really fun finding - the fittings from my built in South Carolina but French pedigree supply lines don’t match any threads at Home Depot. They’re somewhere between 3/8” and 1/2”, and Home Depot doesn’t have anything metric.

Much Googling ensued, which led me to learn that Beneteau uses 15 mm supply lines and Whale quick release fittings.
1714685167728.jpeg

I could either get 15mm barbed hose to NPT adapters ($7 each, like Amazon.com ) or Whale 15mm to NPT push connect adapters ($22 each, like Amazon.com ). I got two of each, figuring I’d return the expensive ones if the cheaper ones didn’t work out. Good thing I did, because the existing hose barbs are pretty thoroughly welded onto their hoses and I didn’t feel like I could remove them without threatening the hose. So on with the Whale adapters, new hoses, and more boat yoga to tighten down the new faucet. Finally all is well again.
1714685656445.jpeg