Adler Barbour Power Plate

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Someone gave me a Power Plate (used) It "gurgles" when I rotate it. How would I determine if this is a good plate? Can it be used with an existing evaporator or is the Power Plate the evaporator?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Unfamiliar with the term power plate. Our AB system has three components, compressor, condenser and evaporator. The evaporator plate goes inside the freezer/fridge, the other two devices outside. If it were me, I would defer to a marine refrigeration guy to determine whether it has any salvage value. Several variables come into play when dealing with what you have. Does it leak, what system was it working with, what refrigerant was used, etc.?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The Power Plate is the (replaces) evaporator.. The gurgling is a solution inside that freezes when the compressor is running and slowly thaws when it is not running. Kinda like the little blue containers that ya freeze and use in an ice chest, it "stores" cold for a bit compared to the normal evapporator.. Kinda like a holding plate but without as much capacity.. some of the reviews are pretty unflattering.. but ya never know how folks installed them or charged the system or how much insulation they had..