Access to windlass

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Tom, what's the compartment in the forward section of the anchor locker? I don't have that.
That's not so much a compartment as it is a place to hang an anchor. It has a groove that runs fore and aft to match the groove in the after section where the windlass switch is. You can then hang a Fortress type anchor in the grooves. I didn't have room for an anchor in the locker, though, since I had 100' of chain and 100' of nylon rode in there. I kept my Fortress under the cockpit seat, and the Supreme on the bowsprit.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
That's not so much a compartment as it is a place to hang an anchor. It has a groove that runs fore and aft to match the groove in the after section where the windlass switch is. You can then hang a Fortress type anchor in the grooves. I didn't have room for an anchor in the locker, though, since I had 100' of chain and 100' of nylon rode in there. I kept my Fortress under the cockpit seat, and the Supreme on the bowsprit.
Never mind, I just looked more closely at my picture and it’s the same. Not sure I’ve ever opened that access port. Now I’m curious what’s in there. Maybe it’s to get to the nuts for the cleat and bow pulpit?

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
I required access to the bowsprit after a power boat struck it with such force it was bent down about 25 degrees. Superficial gelcoat damage also. The damage was repaired while I awaited a new bowsprit from Catalina. To install it almost required a person with an extra long arm having two elbows. Lots of patience and I almost used up my nasty word vocabulary. One thing I did learn was to have any tools I used to be on a lanyard, other wise it really becomes a long day of going from the deck to under the forward berth. More boat yoga.