Access to windlass

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
We seldom use our windlass, but during a survey yesterday it wouldn’t work. The switch at the instrument panel is actuated, and the red light is on, but nothing happens when pushing the foot switch. I‘m happy to troubleshoot more, but before I tear things apart I was wondering if access to the bottom of the foot switch and motor is by removing the wood panel at the head of the bed?

Thanks!

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
My windlass had the same issue and after some electrical sleuthing it turned out that the breaker was non operational due to some internal failure. Replaced the breaker all is fine now.

Nov 16, 2012
My windlass had the same issue and after some electrical sleuthing it turned out that the breaker was non operational due to some internal failure. Replaced the breaker all is fine now.
Breaker is the first thing I'll check. Were you able to find an original style (round red button), or did you install one of the newer style?

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Newer one, had to replace the original plastic plate with a plastic plate cut from a used cutting board. No one except me knows the difference.

Nov 16, 2012
Switch/breaker is fine. Opened small access port and found a lot of corrosion. Removed the front panel and found that one of the power posts on the motor was able to rotate, so obviously broken inside. It took some doing but I was able to remove the wires from both posts on the motor. The bolts holding the motor to the windlass were actually pretty easy to remove, although I had to whack the motor with a rubber mallet to break it free. Luckily the motor is still available, so it should be an easy fix.

i was a little disappointed to see that the none of the crimps Catalina used are heat shrink. I’m tempted to install new ones, but I’m afraid of how much I might have to cut back to get to clean wire.

Reading the manual I see it says to spray the under deck components with CRC 3907 every six months and to change the gear oil every 3 years. I wonder if anybody does that?
1714058548534.jpeg

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
There is salt water intrusion from the deck. Remove the vertical portion and replace the seals on the drive shaft. After you restore the windlass, make a custom cover on the top, similar to the winch cover, using canvas to prevent water to leak down into the windlass when not being used. This is what I did.
I do not understand why there are crimped wires there. Replace the wire with a continues wire.
Reposition the cables and ty them to each other with a ty wrap so they do not move and break.
I have never changed the gear oil ( 1999 model), and I have used lanocoat on the contacts to prevent corrosion. No spray needed.
Let us know how it goes

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
There is salt water intrusion from the deck. Remove the vertical portion and replace the seals on the drive shaft. After you restore the windlass, make a custom cover on the top, similar to the winch cover, using canvas to prevent water to leak down into the windlass when not being used. This is what I did.
I do not understand why there are crimped wires there. Replace the wire with a continues wire.
Reposition the cables and ty them to each other with a ty wrap so they do not move and break.
Let us know how it goes
It looks to me like the little access port has leaked some over time. It’s mounted in a way that the electrical connections to the motor are on the bottom, so water running down the unit will collect there, and cause more corrosion at that location.

The picture is looking upwards; there is no vertical drive shaft, it’s a horizontal windlass, under the anchor locker cover.

The crimps are only at the ring terminals. The wires are #4; I don’t see how they could move and break.

Mar 6, 2008
Thanks for pointing out the orientation. I could not tell which way the photo was, as I though the drive shaft must be vertical, such is mine.
A photo from the deck would help.

Nov 16, 2012
Here’s the deck shot.

Also discovered that they used a 3/8” lug on the 5/16” studs of the foot switch. Not a terrible thing to do, but I used the correct sizes when I redid all the lugs; also added heat shrink.
IMG_1497.jpeg

Mar 6, 2008
Yes. Thanks for the photo. It makes sense.
I am not sure why an access port is needed on the top. I wonder if someone added that. Do other C310 of your year also have them? I would remove it and rebuild the surface so it is water tight.

Mar 6, 2008
1714146239277.png

I located this c310 anchor locker with no access port.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Interesting. Maybe they added it to make it possible to check/add oil?
Looks like a PO added the access port. My 2003 C310 did not have it. Definitely a source of concern, considering the bow is often buried in waves.

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 310 Oriental, NC
Looks like a PO added the access port. My 2003 C310 did not have it. Definitely a source of concern, considering the bow is often buried in waves.
my 2004 has same locker access and has never been any issues. I check it once a year in spring to make O-ring I'd ok. Doesn't give access to windless.

Nov 16, 2012
my 2004 has same locker access and has never been any issues. I check it once a year in spring to make O-ring I'd ok. Doesn't give access to windless.
I was able to reach my hand in, and wiggle the electrical connections, but I agree, not really much access.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
IMG_0168.JPGI take it back. I double checked my photo archives, and the deck access is there! I don't think I ever used it for anything, so forgot it was there. And, yes, it didn't leak.

Nov 16, 2012
View attachment 224409

I located this c310 anchor locker with no access port.
I don’t think that’s a 310. The bow sprit is wrong, the starboard rail is too high, and there’s an additional compartment forward that the 310 doesn’t have. I’m thinking it’s a standard feature on the 310.

Nov 16, 2012
View attachment 224429I take it back. I double checked my photo archives, and the deck access is there! I don't think I ever used it for anything, so forgot it was there. And, yes, it didn't leak.
Tom, what's the compartment in the forward section of the anchor locker? I don't have that.