Absolute Newbie looking for a 30

Oct 2, 2023
Catalina 30 Lake Tahoe
Hello, I'm so glad I found this forum. My wife and I have moved up to Lake Tahoe for retirement. This past summer we went on a couple of cruises on the lake aboard a Catalina 27. We loved it and will be taking lesons next season and hope to do that on our own boat. Our HOA has buoys for seasonal lease and they can accommodate up to a 30' boat. It appears as if there are quite a few Catalina 30's on the market here in California. A couple of questions:
What can we anticipate in the way of cost moving a 30' sailboat from San Diego to Lake Tahoe?
Is there a buyer's guide for Catalina 30's?
What are the normal areas needing attention on a Catalina 30 from the 80's? What's easily fixable and what's an absolute warning sign to stay clear?
Is there anything that might be nice to have while off shore cruising that isn't needed for sailing up here on the lake? I don't want to pay for something I won't be using on the lake?
This is just our first post and I'm sure we'll be loitering around as we identify some boats and work through the repairs. Thanks for assistance.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
One of the biggest mistakes new boaters make is focusing on a single manufacturer. What you should do is focus on the best maintained boat you can find in your size/price range. Given you “don’t know what you don’t know”, you would be better served finding someone with boating experience who you can trust To sort through what is available. Keep in mind - Brokers don’t generally fit that description.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Thanks Don! So, employing the services of a surveyor might be the best path to take.
Well, eventually. But a surveyor doesn't help you find a boat, generally. They inspect a boat you have committed to buying at a given price contingent on survey and sea trial. The report your surveyor writes (YOUR surveyor, not the seller's, or the selling broker's) helps you confirm the condition of the boat and where there are issues it helps you negotiate the price down.

What it sounds like you need is someone to help you decide what you're really looking for, and then help you to winnow down the boats available to a reasonable group that fits your price and needs. That's typically a Buyer's Broker - they work for you but split the fee at sale with the selling broker. Finding a good one might take some looking, but they're worth the effort. They will ask you good questions to determine what you really want/need, then can quickly rule out the dogs on the market and get you onto boats that are worth looking at. Then they'll help with the negotiation, finding a good surveyor, the sea trial, and all the paperwork that comes with owning a boat (and even the loan if you need a referral - they know who's got great boat loan rates and who doesn't).

The caveat here is if you're looking for, say, a $15,000 boat, then there's not enough fee to split between two brokers to make it work their time (which is fair). If that's the case then @Don S/V ILLusion is dead on - find a friend who can help you out. But just bear in mind - you don't really know how knowledgeable that friend is either, since you're a newbie in this area too.

I'll agree with @Don S/V ILLusion to a point about fixating on a model/brand. But Catalina has a HUGE user group following for all its models, and they're still in business and you can get parts/support from a number of sources. That goes a long way toward helping you be assured you'll be able to maintain the boat.

Good luck.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I've also been looking into the C30 for my next boat. Here are a few items to look out for based on my research:
  • Catalina's have keel issues. You'll want to check for a crack or line where the keel meets the hull. You should also look at the keel bolts in the bilge. Newer models will have stainless bolts that almost always look perfect but it's what you can't see that can be worry some. You should also look at any indentations around the bolts in the fiberglass of the bilge. It could be an issue. There seems to be a lot of debate about severity and when this needs to be addressed. I've seen multiple people state that it's a $5000 job to have a yard do it correctly and less than $1000 if you do the labor yourself
  • Look at the fiberglass around the mast. It should not be sunken in. If it is, then it means that either the mast step (wood inside the cabin top) has rotted or the block below the compression post needs to be repaired
  • From what I've read, an uneven gap around the door for the head can indicate that the area below the compression post needs to be repaired
  • Some of the steering hardware was manufactured using conduit and can bend
  • Water intrusion in the rudder seems to be fairly common
  • The wiring for the amp meter on the Universal diesel engines is sub par and should be replaced. See this article for details
The C30 was built to be serviced by boat owners and it appears that this is true. There are other issues that all old boats are prone to but this is what I've found to be specific to the C30

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
What can we anticipate in the way of cost moving a 30' sailboat from San Diego to Lake Tahoe?
I can't quote a firm figure, however, I would estimate somewhere between 5 an 10K. The boat will be an oversize load and that may require additional permits and it is unlikely the trucker would find a load to take back to SD, so you would have to pay mileage both ways.

For a relatively small body of water, a 30' sailboat would be more than might be necessary. A 27' boat could trailered making transportation and storage costs lower. It will also be easier to manage for a new sailor.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Is there a buyer's guide for Catalina 30's?
What are the normal areas needing attention on a Catalina 30 from the 80's?

Catalina 30 Groups Link

Subscribe at the web forum:

Catalina30 groups.io Group
*All things Catalina 30 and 309! Sponsored by the International Catalina 30 Assn IC30A. FAQs, Q&A, comments, and experiences especially fixes and modifications invited. Share with over 2200 other owners. Website catalina30.com* *Please join the International Catalina 30 Association.

or by sending an email to:
Catalina30+subscribe@groups.io

This comes from this sbo thread by weekendrken:

1992 Catalina 30

Also: www.catalina30.com

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I can't quote a firm figure, however, I would estimate somewhere between 5 an 10K. The boat will be an oversize load and that may require additional permits and it is unlikely the trucker would find a load to take back to SD, so you would have to pay mileage both ways.

For a relatively small body of water, a 30' sailboat would be more than might be necessary. A 27' boat could trailered making transportation and storage costs lower. It will also be easier to manage for a new sailor.
It would also be MUCH easier to find a buyer when the time comes to sell it. If I see a boat that's stuck in a lake, I'm not likely to look past that

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum.
now that you are here, try a search for the words
Newbie, first boat, what should we look for..

I suspect you’ll find a plethora of ideas and discussions to fill you with knowledge about buying a boat.

There are plenty of How to buy a boat links. What @Don S/V ILLusion shares is the real question.

How do you want to use a boat? What are youdreams? Telling you about Catalina’s (which are very good boats) does nothing to help you reach your dreams. Define the dream then search for the best boat to fulfill the dream.

You asked
What are the normal areas needing attention on a Catalina 30 from the 80's?
We all have had some general experience with cars. What areas need attention when thinking about buying a 40 year old car.

A surveyor can be helpful on a specific boat. The survey is a detailed look at the boat as it is, with a dose of is it seaworthy.

Costs ? Be prepared. An owner new to boats, often puts money into there dream at the rate of 50% to 100% of the value they paid for the boat. BOAT is said to mean “Break Out Another Thousand”.

Good luck.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Tahoe is a pretty big lake ( 31st largest surface area in the country) but I agree that a trailerable boat would be a good option.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Tahoe is a pretty big lake ( 31st largest surface area in the country) but I agree that a trailerable boat would be a good option.
Before making the statement about Tahoe being a relatively small lake, I did look at the Wikipedia entry. It is clear the folks around Tahoe are quite proud of and fond of their lake. I particularly like the claim in the Wikipedia article that Tahoe is so large you see the curvature of the earth (take that you flat earthers!). However, from my perspective as a sailor on the 5th largest lake in the country (Lake Ontario), Tahoe is kind of small. :biggrin::beer:

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Before making the statement about Tahoe being a relatively small lake, I did look at the Wikipedia entry. It is clear the folks around Tahoe are quite proud of and fond of their lake. I particularly like the claim in the Wikipedia article that Tahoe is so large you see the curvature of the earth (take that you flat earths!). However, from my perspective as a sailor on the 5th largest lake in the country (Lake Ontario), Tahoe is kind of small. :biggrin::beer:
Its all relative! :)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
What are the normal areas needing attention on a Catalina 30 from the 80's? What's easily fixable and what's an absolute warning sign to stay clear?
Is there anything that might be nice to have while off shore cruising that isn't needed for sailing up here on the lake? I don't want to pay for something I won't be using on the lake?
I've also been looking into the C30 for my next boat. Here are a few items to look out for based on my research:
  • Catalina's have keel issues. You'll want to check for a crack or line where the keel meets the hull. You should also look at the keel bolts in the bilge. Newer models will have stainless bolts that almost always look perfect but it's what you can't see that can be worry some. You should also look at any indentations around the bolts in the fiberglass of the bilge. It could be an issue. There seems to be a lot of debate about severity and when this needs to be addressed. I've seen multiple people state that it's a $5000 job to have a yard do it correctly and less than $1000 if you do the labor yourself
  • Look at the fiberglass around the mast. It should not be sunken in. If it is, then it means that either the mast step (wood inside the cabin top) has rotted or the block below the compression post needs to be repaired
  • From what I've read, an uneven gap around the door for the head can indicate that the area below the compression post needs to be repaired
  • Some of the steering hardware was manufactured using conduit and can bend
  • Water intrusion in the rudder seems to be fairly common
  • The wiring for the amp meter on the Universal diesel engines is sub par and should be replaced. See this article for details
The C30 was built to be serviced by boat owners and it appears that this is true. There are other issues that all old boats are prone to but this is what I've found to be specific to the C30
Mayhem's list is pretty good. He covers most of the issues found in early and mid 80s C30s.

You can avoid most, if not all, of the issues he identifies by looking for a 89 or newer boat Mark II model (MkII). By 89 Catalina has implemented changes to correct the issues.
If you're a DIY'r and don't mind tackling fiberglass and electrical projects, selecting an early to mid 80s can be a good choice but money put into to the purchase price instead of repairs will normally get you on the water faster.

The MkII also can bring a T shaped Cockpit, a bit nicer interior and walk thru transom as well as a M25XP 23Hp diesel, although that may not be a big benefit on a lake.

His last point, that C30s were built to be serviced by owners. I agree. The engine is located under the galley sink cabinet. You can easily access it and the stuffing box for maintenance and service.

The C30 is a much bigger boat than the C27, not only in length but cabin space, cockpit size and deck space. In New Jersey it is standard to slip sailboats bow in which means you have to walk the side decks to reach the cockpit and enter the cabin. I have a friend with a C27 and found the side deck much more difficult to maneuver.
This is a consideration if your spending several days at a time on your boat in a slip and you are on and off the boat several times a day.

The cabin space is great for two people. We've turned out dinette area into a full size bed set up full time. We can sleep comfortably, have plenty of room to sit around and relax, galley is plenty big. Sleeping in the V-Berth or Qtr Berth can be done but we're both 6' and that isn't happening so both are storage areas.

The cockpit size if big enough to entertain 6, room for 4 to stretch out a bit and 2 to be really comfortable.

These are features you should check on other boats you are considering.

On this site there is a Catalina 30 sub forum. It's worth looking through it for C30 specific info. As @Stu Jackson and others pointed out, the C30 Association forum is worth checking out.

Regards,
Ward

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
One of the biggest mistakes new boaters make is focusing on a single manufacturer. What you should do is focus on the best maintained boat you can find in your size/price range. Given you “don’t know what you don’t know”, you would be better served finding someone with boating experience who you can trust To sort through what is available. Keep in mind - Brokers don’t generally fit that description.
While I agree with you Don, this sounds like a case of customer loyalty. He had a C22, has sailed on a C27 and is now looking at a C30.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
A couple of additional comments under the "Common issues" category.

The Catalina Smile was a termed coined when CTY used plywood incased in fiberglass in the keel stub. If keel bolts leaked or someone drilled a screw hole deep enough in the bottom of the bilge, the plywood would get wet, rot. This allowed the keel to sink slightly causing a crack along the front of the keel to keel stub joint. There are no reports of a C30 keel falling off per the C30 Association web site.
And this crack can and has occurred on other manufacturers boats, just for other reasons.

Another common issue that @Project_Mayhem touched on is the wiring harness issue when an Amp gauge was installed. Even without the amp gauge CTY spec'd their engines to be plug and play so Universal supplied the engines with short wiring harness's with the trailer plug connectors. This created another failure point as the plugs were hidden away, had wire undersized for the current they carried and the contacts corroded. (If an amp gauge was installed the wires were grossly undersized).

Another Universal diesel issue, not specific to Catalina's and found in M18's M25's and maybe others, is an alternator bracket that attached to the timing chain cover. Overtime vibration would cause the mounting point at the cover to destroy the cover. This was fixed with the M25XP. I know an O'day 31 owner who was down all summer due to this issue on his M18 diesel.

None of these issues over ride the popularity of the C30. They just affect the price and new owners need to know about them. If the issues have been addressed great. If not the boat price should reflect that. A new owner just needs to aware and be willing to do the work himself or pay a bit more for a boat that has had the issues addressed or a newer boat where CTY has addressed the issues. (That's why I mentioned an 89 or newer, most issues were addressed by then.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
How is the market for buying a boat that is on Lake Tahoe? It wouldn't surprise me if they cost a lot more, but more than offsetting the cost of transportation?