!44" OF SNOW NEW YORK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
144" of snow and more coming in northern new york I hate to think what it must be like for those people up state ny. Well maybe I will find out soon we have our first snow storm coming our way but because we live along the coast of southeast ny we are not suppose to get more rain than snow. I guess maybe I should start looking for my snow shoes and cross country ski's just in case, maybe clean off the dust on the snow blower too. How's your winter weather doing so far,boating season hurry up and get here soon please.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
The biggest problem I have with a lot of

snow is where to put it. We get a couple of feet here every five or six years and even that little bit makes big piles.

A

Al

Another Alberta Clipper

and not the sailing veriety, Lake Erie has finally frozen 90% over so that helps eliminate the lake effect storms.After surviving the Blizzard of 77& 85 It's not the snow that bothers me it's the really cold temps this year that are crazy, Temps of -5 with wind chills of -30 kind get to ya. We had a great December and January with temps in the 60's. Remember the groundhog said spring will be here in only 4 more weeks LOL and the snow will melt and we'll go on sailing all summer and laugh about this winter til next Feb. It still beats Earthquakes, Hurricanes, tornatoes, and floods. Stay warm and don't eat the yellow snow!!!!!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Who's got Heat *!

I got a brand new Boat I can't buy any oil *cry I am retired ;D My wife said I better go get a job *yks What about the honey do list*o

T

Tony

nine feet

I remeber those winters in the mid-late 90's we had 100 inches in my driveway worst part was the snowblower couldn't throw it high enough so the diveway kept getting smaller(NE Pa) stood on the top and raked snow off the porch roof to alleviate weight i sympathize with those people then you get a dramatic thaw you hope your basement does'nt flood t

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Went to college in Maine

Lived at my Grandmother's house. Some of the worst winter I can ever remember. My senior year I bought a used '49 Dodge. Would stand on roof to look over the snow bank to see if any cars were coming down the street before pulling out. We had a snow blower but got overwhelmed. My Dad came into town and hired a huge blower on the back of a tractor and he cut a new path. The bank was around 8-9 ft high. Felt like we were living in a canyon. About the time we would dig out the driveway the snow plow would come down the street would re-bury us. Just knew those guys were sitting down the street waiting for me to finish. :{ Jim S/V Java

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Jim, I was in Bangor 58-59 and 59-60

We got some serious snow both winters. Did you go the Orono?

Mar 28, 2005
Oday 272 Baltimore
I was also in Orono - 74-76

Before that in Wanakena, New York (New York State Ranger School). Both had plenty of snow, but the Ranger School had a Weather Service weather reporting station. More than once it was the coldest spot in the U.S. During my winter there it got to 35 below. I remember getting up in the middle of the night and opening the window for some fresh air, and hearing trees cracking from the cold!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Utah Sking

Went sking in utah ten years ago while driving up canyon rd with chains on four wheel drive suv and houses along rd had snow over roof's. The forecast for that day was clear and sunny while at top of mountain it started snowing turned into blizzed stuck in lodge at top of mountain over six hours. Snow too deep for lifts to operate, we tried to ski down mountain and most people lost ski's in deep powder with out powder straps. Some who had name and address on ski's got calls in june,utah best powder sking.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
3 More ft ny

Up state ny expected to get 3ft more snow we are getting mostly icy rain changing to all ice tonight.

Feb 9, 2007
Freedom 21 Forked River, NJ
Ladder not required

With 144" of snow we do not have to climb up the ladder to get into the sailboat. It is just a small step up into the cockpit from the snow back that has formed against the side of the boat.

Feb 13, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Plattsburgh, NY
the blizzard

We live by the shore of Lake Champlain in Plattsburgh NY. Our forecast for today is a blizzard, with 16-30 inches of snow and gusts over 35 this afternoon. The temperature here now is 4 degrees and the snow is piling up fast. This kind of weather really makes us appreciate the sailing season when it arrives,though. Alice

Status
Not open for further replies.