29.5 Overall Length

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
I'm trying to determine what the overall length ois of the 29.5 including the anchor roller. I was offered a 30' slip that and I'm not close to the boat. The manula doesn't specify if the OA lengthincludes the protruding roller or not.

thank you.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You will have to check on how strict they are in the marina office. Yes your anchor could be 15-45cm beyond the end of your boat.

On our dock, the marina allows for a bit of over hang when the boat is in it's slip. Some boats have a bit of extra hanging off the stern (usually a dinghy). If they impinge on the fairway, then someone calls them on it.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
No published specs as usually this is measured by dockmaster and results can vary due to anchor, roller, pulpit etc. they measure them like a TV. My Catalina 320 is 33'9" according to Enrique, the guy with the tape measure in my harbor.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Even in NY I don't think anyone ever actually measured my boat. It's in the contract that they will, but they never did. Nevertheless, I have walked docks and had to walk around anchors, which can be dangerous. It's more neighborly to tie your boat so that the anchor/roller doesn't impinge on the dock.
Regarding the definition of OL, it is generally what the marina says it is and not the owners manual. Most contracts specify anchor/ roller to swim platforms. Remove the anchor!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Most marina's (so i've been told) will allow a couple feet over the stated slip size to accommodate overhangs, as mentioned. In my marina, my Cat 27 is allowed to occupy a 25 ft. slip... with the outboard's overhang another foot could be added, but I've been there for 24 years and had no complaints. So I would suggest asking the marina manager what is allowed. The deal is your rent is based on boat length or slip size. whichever is greater.
If it were me, I would take the slip, no need to get too nit picky, because they are going to charge you for the 30ft anyway.

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
Most marina's (so i've been told) will allow a couple feet over the stated slip size to accommodate overhangs, as mentioned. In my marina, my Cat 27 is allowed to occupy a 25 ft. slip... with the outboard's overhang another foot could be added, but I've been there for 24 years and had no complaints. So I would suggest asking the marina manager what is allowed. The deal is your rent is based on boat length or slip size. whichever is greater.
If it were me, I would take the slip, no need to get too nit picky, because they are going to charge you for the 30ft anyway.
hi Joe. I'm not the one nit picking. The Marina is asking to verify that I'm not over 30'.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
@Crazy Dave Condon may want to weigh in on this conversation; however, it is my understanding that the LOA published by the manufacturer will normally be the distance from the pullpit or anchor roller (but not the anchor), whichever protrudes the most, to the furthest point on the stern including the pushpit. In your case Hunter’s brochure shows the 29.5 with a LOA 29’ 6”.

Hunter 29.5 Brochure

FWIW our marina measures every boat and that measurement will include everything that is attached to the boat: bow sprit, anchor and dinghy, outboard hanging off of mount, BBQ, flag staff and probably the flag if it happens to be flying at the time they measure. They have no mercy.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I would suggest temporarily removing the anchor placing it in the anchor for now and anything that hangs over. I think the marina goes overboard with the measurements. Do that for a while and slowly add back. See if that works because they immediately measure and watch for a few months. If you do that they will not guess what is really happening!