28.5 Split Backstay rigging

Aug 24, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Portsmouth
does anyone have pics of their back stay rigging at the triangle? I need to grab pics of mine but to put it simply I have only a single plate, the upper backstay is connected with a fork but the lower stays are connected with eyes with just a couple of washers and the cotter pin to hold it together, it just does not seem adequate to me. I'm wonder if the previous owners jury rigged it at some point.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is an idea shared…
It is from a Precision 18
You will need to watch this video on YouTube.
The concepts are the same as for your Hunter 28.5.
The materials you use need to be as strong as the breaking strength of the wires that make up the back stay.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I have a 34 but here is a picture of what your back-stay should look like with the proper attachment. That triangular piece is 1/4'' stainless steel that splits the back-stay in 2. A machine shop can easily make one for you. You'll want to look at your turnbuckles and figure out once they're loosened up completely how long you need that triangle to be so that you back-stay can be tensioned and tuned.
1712271732007.png

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Portsmouth
I have a 34 but here is a picture of what your back-stay should look like with the proper attachment. That triangular piece is 1/4'' stainless steel that splits the back-stay in 2. A machine shop can easily make one for you. You'll want to look at your turnbuckles and figure out once they're loosened up completely how long you need that triangle to be so that you back-stay can be tensioned and tuned.
View attachment 223992
thanks, that is similar to mine, my upper backstay has a fork instead of an eye, do you have a pic of the other side?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The set up is with common rigging hardware.
the shroud wire is attached to what is called a swaged fork.
IMG_5893.jpeg
I recommend you have them machine swaged if your thinking about this as a DIY project.

A clevis pin is used to hold the plate in place.
IMG_5892.jpeg

Many racers choose to change out the fixed back stay for an adjustable stay.
CS Johnson makes the rigging pieces for this approach.

Aug 24, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Portsmouth
The set up is with common rigging hardware.
the shroud wire is attached to what is called a swaged fork.
View attachment 223993
I recommend you have them machine swaged if your thinking about this as a DIY project.

A clevis pin is used to hold the plate in place.
View attachment 223994

Many racers choose to change out the fixed back stay for an adjustable stay.
CS Johnson makes the rigging pieces for this approach.
that's what I thought might be the case, mine is not a fork, just an eye, which did not seem right. I went ahead and ordered new fork fittings.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
thanks, that is similar to mine, my upper backstay has a fork instead of an eye, do you have a pic of the other side?
No pix of the otherside but I'll be going to the boat in a couple of weeks and can take one for you. I don't think my backstay has a swaged fork. I believe it's just an eye, with clevis pins. Let me know if you want that pix.