1999 Hunter 170 Mast Carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCD

Mar 26, 2007
- - Cave Run Lake, KY
I recently bought a '99 170. I've noticed from viewing other owners 170's pics on this site that their mast carrier is noticeably larger than the "short & stubby" one I appear to have. It appears Hunter revamped the original (which I must have) to a taller version that includes a hole for the boom as well. Biggest problem I can tell from trailering only once thus far with the smaller version, is that the spreaders scratch the cockpit while in transit. Anyone familiar with when Hunter made this adjustment & where you can recommend purchasing a beefier mast carrier that prevents the spreaders from touching the cockpit? Thanks,

J

john

Mine is a '98

I am pretty sure mine is a '98. I think when I purchased it, it had a tallish mast support with a seperate cut-out for the boom. Halfway home the plastic snapped and I left most of it on the highway. The mast and boom were fine, aside from bouncing around a bit. When I got home I made a quick and dirty one out of a 2 x 6. I was intending to make a prettier one out of cherry or something later. That was 6 years ago and later has not come yet. I am not sure how close mine comes to the correct version, but it seems to work OK. I do recall seeing a web site where you could buy virtually every part for the 170, including a new mast support, but I can't find it now. j

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Anyone ever ordered from this site?

Has anyone ever used this site: http://www.sailboatpartsdirect.com/productcart/pc/viewCat.asp to order a part for their 170? Are they dependable? The site is great and has a lot of parts.

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Nice inventory of parts !

Hi Tim, This is an interesting link ! I have not heard of it before, nice to know that there is another source that you can go to for replacement parts or even new parts for your 170. I thought some of the prices were a little higher than what I paid for, by going through my Hunter dealer (dennis@sailing-obsession.com) but then again it's been a couple of years since I bought any thing from him, prices continue to rise......... Looks like you guys on the east coast are having a heat wave, news reports temps in the high 80's for this week end ! Glenn

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
It's been nice....

Glenn, It has been nice for the last few days. Today is about 80 but with no wind. Last weekend was real nice. I came very close to heading out on Sunday, but things got in the way. The water temp is still around 60 so it is still a little cold. It won't be long though and I'll be out on the water! Does Dennis have a catalog of his parts or is it best to just email him with what you need? I am going to need to replace some of my rigging in a year or two and am looking for a good source. Tim

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
replacing parts !

Tim, I would e-mail Dennis, however, you being on the east cost vs us on the west cost, the cost of shipping might be a bit high ! certaninly worth a try. Dennis is a great guy and has been a big help to us here in California. What type of items do you plan on replacing ? Glenn

E

Edwin

Placed order

I've ordered a mast float from here. The free shipping attracted me for sure. Although I have not received yet they have kept me posted via email that there had been a delay because of the ACP group's move, this was a couple of weeks ago, and earlier this week emailed that it had been shipped. Thats nice customer service so far.

R

Rusty

Higher wont fis the scratching issue

JCD, If the only issue you have is scratching or rubbing, save the cash and go to the hardware store and buy a roll of aluminum duct tape. This is the shiny metalic stuff versus the grey "traditional" version. The longer version is not going to correct your issue of rubbing. I have the same issue with my boat and I have the longer version, (2004). Slap a length of tape where they rub and its fixed. Pull it off when you launch. Rusty

J

Jeff

Better than tape

A better solution than the duct tape is to go to the hardware store and buy some foam pipe insulation. 12 feet of it is only $3 and you can cut a 6" section off, slice a couple of slots for the stay wires to go through, and slide it onto the end of your spreader. Make one for each side. It takes five minutes to do. Mine stay on even when traveling down the highway at 70 MPH and protect the boat from scratches. Just slip them off before you put up your mast and put them in one of the halyard bags up front. They will be there at the end of the day for you when you take the mast back down.

JCD

Mar 26, 2007
- - Cave Run Lake, KY
Jerry A

Jerry A, Unfortunately, my mast carrier is about 1/2 the size of the one in your pic. Mine is identical with respect to the same plastic material, but is a "mini version" compared to other posts I've seen here such as yours, etc. ; The major difference I've noticed (other than the height)is my mast carrier also does not have the carve out for the boom, so my boom ends up laying in the cockpit floorboard (which has led to many unsightly scratches on the cockpit floor during transit). I'd love to hear more about your "scratches be gone" project in the pic you've posted. I thought about investing in shroud covers to prevent all the scratches I notice when I trailer from Point A to Point B. They make me cringe each time I see a new scratch! Jon

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Beutiful new boat

Congrats, and good luck. Wow - that looks like a "REAL" boat! ;) And thanks for all the great tips. Look me up if you want to do some narrow lake sailing in New England... And congratulations to the lucky dog who buys your 170 - will be like getting a better-than-new boat.

J

Jeff

Wow! Sweet Boat!

I like your boat. When I bought the 170, I was just a hair trigger away from getting the 21 foot version. In the end, I needed something that I could set up myself the day my Son grew up and left to start his own life. The 21 footer just seemed like too much set up work single handed. I like the thought of parking something nice like your new boat in a slip here on Lake Michigan, but the jump in cost and maintenance is sooo big. While I am still working, I just don't know that I would have time to get back out what I am puting in. I have friends that I sail with on the big lake so I do get my fix. When I retire, I would like to get a place on Higgins Lake. Maybe then I can get something a little bigger, leave it rigged, and only worry about setting it oup and taking it down once a year. Good luck and have fun with your new toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.