1978 Com-Pac 16: soft between the bunks?

Ranzo

May 11, 2022
Catalina 22 3556 Farragut, TN
Hello, friends! I have been wanting a Com-Pac 16 for a long time and had one finally come up recently within driving distance that is both a fair price and looks to be in pretty good shape from the pics. It's a 1978.

The owner said the hull and deck are in very good shape, with the only minor issue being 'a little bubble feel to the fiberglass' inside the cabin between the bunks.

I'm not familiar with the structural design on these and I haven't seen it in person yet: what do you knowledgeable folks make of the 'bubble feel' issue? Is this a sign of something serious, or just an inconvenience to a non-structural interior bulkhead?

Thank you!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This fellow provides info on bunks that are “bubbled” or damaged by water intrusion. Looks like nice work repair.

Ranzo

May 11, 2022
Catalina 22 3556 Farragut, TN
Thanks jssailem! Yea, I'm not sure exactly what this gentlemen means by 'between the bunks'. I'm going to drive down and take a look at it Saturday. Anything in particular you guys know of I should watch our for re: this year and model?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Small boats like the ComPac 16 all have similar benefits and issues. Costs of the boats are often like 20 year old cars (or less). Most have been used and put away wet, or parked in a driveway and allowed to just exist. You’ll find that rare pristine beauty if you search. On the other hand these Fiberglass boats are resilient.They can be fixed up and make great boats to learn the skills of simply sailing.

Look for one that really appeals to you. Has the shape and the workings that will get you sailing quickly. More than the boat it self, find one with nice crisp new looking sails. The boat can be fixed relatively quickly and art minimal expense. A good working trailer and sails are really more expensive than the boat.

Good luck