110 volt pulgs reset fuse location

Apr 13, 2011
Beneteau 40 Chicago
Preforming winterization of the water system on my 2011 Beneteau 40, had the electric heater and hair dryer plugged in at the same time resulting in my 110 volt plugs becoming disabled.

Can anyone help me find the fuse to reset them?

Thanks!

Chris

B40 #197

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You've overloaded your 120V service. It is either your incoming AC breaker on your boat's electrical panel, the one within 10 feet of your inlet receptacle (if your boat is new enough to have one), the breaker for your outlet's circuit (if you have one) or the dock pedestal.

Is this boat new-to-you?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
During a time when we were involuntary live-aboards in November and December, we would frequently forget that our AC capacity was limited, compared to life on land. And our morning coffee or microwave combined with the electric heater would trip then AC Outlets breaker on the electrical control panel. When we had problems, it was always the breaker on the control panel, we never had to reset the entire AC system at the breaker near the shore power connection.

if your battery charger and water heater still work, it’s probably just the control panel breaker.

Apr 13, 2011
Beneteau 40 Chicago
You've overloaded your 120V service. It is either your incoming AC breaker on your boat's electrical panel, the one within 10 feet of your inlet receptacle (if your boat is new enough to have one), the breaker for your outlet's circuit (if you have one) or the dock pedestal.

Is this boat new-to-you?
Hi Stu:

The boat was purchased new in 2011 and I have been very happy with it.
We have never encountered this problem before.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not sure if Beneteau’s have GFI breakers / outlets… my old O’Day 322 does have them. If I plug too heavy of a load in my 110 outlets, it can trip the GFI outlet. Several of my outlets are slaved to a single GFI outlet. So if I trip it, I lose 110 power at several breakers.

Simple to reset by pushing the red button seen in the middle of the outlet on the right side of this photo.

IMG_0690_Original.jpeg

If the outage is for ALL 110 power, it could be a breaker that newer boats have near the shore power inlet. My 1999 Hunter had one that tripped once. Harder to find that one, but it would be near the shore power inlet.

Good luck,

Greg

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
The "breaker" near the shore power inlet may not look like a regular breaker you see on your AC panel. It may be two separate "pop up" reset type breakers that look like simple small "buttons" with something like "reset" or the amperage imprinted on it. That is what was on my 1994 Hunter. On my boat these were immediately below the shore power inlet. One of those would not hold shut on mine so I replaced both and have had no problems since then. Of course that may not be the case for a Beneteau, but its worth a look.

1697373946872.png

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Is it just the "outlets" or all the AC.

If its just the outlets and the rest of the AC (Waterheater, Air Con, Battery Charger) still work it is most likely you have a master GFCI breaker like @Tally Ho suggested. My master GFCI is located in the aft head.

If it is all AC, it is either the plug itself (not likely), the AC breaker on the main panel, or the breakers (or reset buttons) near the shore power plug.

It could be a failure at the shore power dock pedestal and since you've had the boat since 2011 I assume that you've had one of these trip before. Have you changed to a different dock pedestal that you know works to see if that is the problem?

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Here are examples of what the breaker and ELCI look like on a similar era Beneteau Oceanis.

Owners manual: B34 electrical.jpg

Breaker near the shore power connection (inside the lazarette): Breakers - 1.jpeg

ELCI protection box near the electric control panel (mine is under the seat near the nav desk): Breakers - 2.jpeg

Jan 10, 2023
Beneteau Oceanis 55 Anchorage
I assume you have figured it out by now, but I've ran into issues with outlets too. In addition to what has already been said, your boat may have some rocker type breaker switches as I do. Mine are located in vicinity of my main breaker panel under the chart table.
Places to check:
-Shore power/generator main breaker located near shore power inlet
-AC breakers on main breaker panel
-AC breakers behind main breaker panel
-AC breakers IVO inverter
-Random rocker switches IVO main breaker panel

I occasionally lose power to outlets and it varies to which gets tripped first depending on the situation.

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
The gfci on my catalina 310 actually failed completely disabling all the downstream outlets on the stbd side. According to Maine sail the gfci's fail from time to time so now I carry a spare. Just my experience.