Renogy Solar Panel Problems

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We have written extensively about our solar panels. We went through all the research we did in choosing them and installing them in previous posts.

We have loved these panels so far. They get us up to 100% state of charge by near noon time each day.

Over the weekend one of the Facebook cruising groups started with stories of problems with the panels. There was one reported incident of the panels starting a fire. That post pointed to the Amazon and Renogy listings now calling the panels “light weight” as opposed to their old description of “semi-flexible”. In addition, the descriptions now said not to bend the panels and to mount them with a 2-3 inch space between the panels and the surface below. This was a change from all of the previous literature.

Our panels are mounted onto our Sunbrella bimini with velcro. This was an installation made popular by the Solbian panels, well by Maine Sail using Solbian. The Renogy panels, as well as many other of the lesser cost brands, are a take off of the Solbian panels at about a quarter of the cost. One of the advantages of this type of install is that the panels have good air flow below them and that keeps them cool. This should be an advantage in performance.

This morning I called Renogy and spoke with tech support. The first tech I spoke with said he had heard of one issue but didn’t think there would be a problem with our install. I pushed further, asking questions about why they change the literature and were they still recommended for the install like I had. Eventually he spoke with his supervisor and they said that our panels should be exchanged for their new ones that have an aluminum backing.
Being a full-time cruiser this type of exchange isn’t easy. The tech support guy said he would email a return label and then ship the new ones when they saw the old ones being return. This obviously wouldn’t work for us. I asked to talk to his supervisor.

When I got the supervisor on the phone I again pressed on the change of the description and the new “no bending” recommendation. At first she said that we install our panels over the bimini supports. This was an absolutely wrong recommendation and I knew it. When you do this you create a hard point for the panels to flex over and crack the panel. Since she told me the fire issue was related to the cells being damaged by bending and that’s what caused the fire. I then hit her with a whole bunch more questions. Eventually she got their senior tech engineer. They agreed that installing them over the bimini support was wrong. They don’t see a problem with the aluminum backed panels being installed on a Sunbrella bimini as long as they don’t bend more than 20-30 degrees (they don’t). They also don’t think that mounting on the Sunbrella is a problem. It seems the issue is more mounting them to hard biminis and dodgers or right on the deck.

Once we got that settled, Renogy was very accommodating on setting up a return. We are waiting out some offshore weather in Sandy Hook, NJ. We had thought about going into a marina for a couple of days to shower, do some laundry and get provisions. We had found a pretty reasonable one in Great Kills, NY on Staten Island. So we gave Renogy the address of that marina and they are sending out our new panels 2-day air. They are going to include the return label in the package. We can swap them out quick in the marina.

I am putting this out there so anyone else with these panels knows to followup with Renogy. They seem to be keeping a little quiet but when you press them they acknowledge the issue and setup the return.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
From everything I've read regarding solar, heat is the enemy. Attached was my original solution using some 1" rubber spacers when mounting on the bimini support bars directly.
I shall be adding dedicated bars over the bimini to mount the panels on shortly, so I can remove the bimini without moving the panels.
Note the air space below the panels. After 4 years they are still putting out over 20 amps, no loss of performance at all.

Attachments

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
This is interesting as I have a Renogy Panel.

I have a 100 watt panel that sits on my sunbrella bimini. It doesn't bend or come into contact with any part of the frame.

Should I be in contact with Renogy to attempt to exchange my current panel? If so, what number did you use to contact them?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
This is interesting as I have a Renogy Panel.

I have a 100 watt panel that sits on my sunbrella bimini. It doesn't bend or come into contact with any part of the frame.

Should I be in contact with Renogy to attempt to exchange my current panel? If so, what number did you use to contact them?
Yes and I just used the 800 number on their website. I was only on hold less than a minute.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
From everything I've read regarding solar, heat is the enemy. Attached was my original solution using some 1" rubber spacers when mounting on the bimini support bars directly.
I shall be adding dedicated bars over the bimini to mount the panels on shortly, so I can remove the bimini without moving the panels.
Note the air space below the panels. After 4 years they are still putting out over 20 amps, no loss of performance at all.
Thanks for the info but it doesn't really fit this issue. These are the semi-flexible panels and mounting to the Sunbrella was supposed to help with heat issues. It seems to be more an issue for the knock-off Solbian panels. And again, I have had no issues. We been running ours since June and haven't been on shore power since. Definitely have been connected to shore power for the last month since we started full time cruising.

Thanks again

Jun 5, 2014
Capital Yacths Newport MKIII 30 Punta Gorda, Fl
I'm guessing you have the 100w flexible panels? I have a friend who has the 100w flexible panels. He was going to add another one and Renogy told him they had been discontinued do to to many problems. They only show 50w flexible panels on their site now.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
JK,

Sorry to hear of all the issues. Sadly the replacements will be heavier and may cause some sagging of the canvas.. Solara a has been building high quality aluminum backed semi-flexible for a long while do perhaps Renogy is now copying that idea.. Renogy seems to stand behind product but that does not help much when they sell low quality products to you and then the replacements for them are not the same especially after modifying your canvas....

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
JK, Sorry to hear of all the issues. Sadly the replacements will be heavier and may cause some sagging of the canvas.. Solara has been building high quality aluminum backed semi-flexible for a long while do perhaps Renogy is now copying that idea.. Renogy seems to stand behind product but that does not help much when they sell low quality products to you and then the replacements for them are not the same especially after modifying your canvas....
Yeah, the specs say the new panels are four pounds. The old ones are 3 pounds. So we are trying to anticipate how the extra weight will affect the bimini. Might have to come up with a whole new plan.

It still seams that the issue that created the fire was inappropriate install but doesn't seem worth the risk.

Worst part is they are performing really well. While I was on the phone with tech support I was getting 6.9 Ah and it's a partly cloudy day.

That's what I get for going cheap.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Hmmmm

I have 2 of the 100w Renogy flex panels I installed last winter. I made backer boards out of 1/2" Celtec PVC sheets. I mounted them on my lifelines as flip outs. Prop them up when away from the dock and fold them down when at the dock. The Celtec is sagging a bit in the middle but not laying over any hard points.

I guess a phone call is in order.

Thnx

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I have the Grape Solar 100w Photoflex and Genesun controller. Just bought it in July. Haven't even installed it yet - still in the box.

Was going to put it on the sunbrella bimini, where there is a perfect spot between the cross supports for it to rest.

Is there really a danger of my bimini burning up? Or is the fire story an anomaly?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The Renogy, Grape, Go Power, etc. panels appear to all be made in the same factory. So I don't think you gain much by going to the different brands. If one has the problem, most likely the all do.

Aug 16, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Bayfield, WI
I mounted, a couple of months ago, the Renogy flexible 100 watt panel on my boat. Because of the size of the bimini and the placement of the back stays on my Hunter 35.5, I mounted the panel on an aluminum frame. Even if I could have, I would not consider mounting the panel without having some airspace under the panel.

Attachments

Aug 16, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Bayfield, WI
I mounted, a couple of months ago, the Renogy flexible 100 watt panel on my boat. Because of the size of the bimini and the placement of the back stays on my Hunter 35.5, I mounted the panel on an aluminum frame. Even if I could have, I would not consider mounting the panel without having some airspace under the panel.
I don't know why the pic is upside down. Here is another one that shows the frame. You'll have to stand on you head to see this one as well. I rotated it before I uploaded it but it still ended up wrong side up. Sorry.

Attachments

Feb 13, 2016
ProKennex Destiny Vancouver
Can someone point me at the replacement 100W Renogy panels that weigh 4 pounds? The specifications I received for the recalls replacement panels from Renogy were 16 pounds each. To much for a Sunbrella bimini mount on the back of a weight sensitive catamaran.

I installed 4 Renogy 100W semi flexible panels on my bimini in summer of 2015 using simple ties to d-rings I had stitched into the bimini from a previous install of 32W panels. The panels sat flat on the bimini with no gap. Mindful of the heat and gap recommendations, I monitored the panels closely. They got quite warm, but not too hot to touch in the afternoon sun. I'm sailing high latitudes > 49 north, so after monitoring, I was not worrying the heat- much. The panels worked their magic throughout our summer cruising hitting highs of 18 amps on hot sunny days.

This winter I replaced the entire 10 year old bimini and reworked the solar panel install with zippers stitched into the edge of the panels. The zipper install left a nice little 1/4-1/8 gap between the panel and the bimini. Nice improvement and easy removal and re-install.

Here it is February and I get the recall notice. I guess living life on the leading edge – sometimes you get burnt! But I’d like to know more about the exact nature of the problems to better access risk.

In the meantime the search for replacement panels begins and any recommendations appreciated.

Cheers....

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
My guess is that the 16 lb panels are rigid glass. Renogy has stopped selling the 100w flex panel. Somewhere recently I read someones comment that they dont expect a flex panel replacement till 2017

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
In the meantime the search for replacement panels begins and any recommendations appreciated.
Rae, you are very fortunate to be located in Vancouver. I would highly recommend getting in touch with Jeff Cote (Pacific Yacht Systems). Jeff writes an article every issue in the Pacific Yachting magazine (Tech Talk). He will make himself available at your boat and will talk your ear off about solar systems. If not, please have a look at the distributor's website that Jeff works with (http://hybridpowersupply.com/semi-flexible-solar-panels/). Hybrid Power Supply only deal with Gioco and Solbain panels, both of which our very own Maine Sail recommends. You just missed a golden opportunity at the Vancouver Boat Show as Hybrid was offering a free Victron MPPT controller to match the panel size purchased, free shipping, no PST and it goes on. Hybrid's contact is Haig Davis. He answers emails on weekends. Maybe you can work a deal with him.

I have no financial interests what-so-ever in any of the companies mention above. I am simply a satisfied customer anxiously waiting for his solar system to arrive.

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
This is my first attempt at solar. I purchased a 25 W panel from Renogy and am a little disappointed in what I perceive as 'quality'.

Several of the lines appear to not be same diameter and there appears to be some issues around the perimeter of the mounting board(worse on one end than other perimeters).

Should I worry about these things (remember, first experience with solar panels). Just purchased/received, not installed. If a problem, would like to get it corrected before any other expense incurred.

Attachments