Replaced all my sanitation hoses

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Ok, I knew this job had to be done, as the interior was getting a “head odour” 2 seasons ago. I thought it was a fitting leak, but finally determined the hoses were past their “best before date”
So, I ripped everything out. Deck pump out lines, Macerator piping, head lines.
Everything.
Replaced it with the best hose I could buy, so that this would be off the radar.
I pulled all the hoses in the fall, as I needed to get anything that stank out of the boat, and let the air get fresh.
I knew this was going to be an awful job, because just getting the hoses out was a battle. Putting them back in was much harder, as there were many precise fits that needed to be managed. And the boat was totally ripped apart to get at everything.
I’ve got bruises, sliced skin from Fiberglas edges, and really sore back.

Most major jobs I’ve done on board have done “beauty effect” afterwards. Not this one. It was akin to tearing up your house foundation to fix weeping tiles.
None of my friends (all 3 of them), who come on board this summer are going to say , “Hey Art, nice hoses”

My advice after doing all this …..

Hire someone.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
but finally determined the hoses were past their “best before date”
Everything.
Why didn't you tell me before you started ? I replaced all of my sanitary hoses a couple of years ago and it wasn't a party but neither was it the worst job I'd ever done on the boat.

Much to my regret, last fall I experienced an epiphany and decided to replace all of the fuel lines on my Yanmar 2GM20F.

1676612498183.png

Worst job I have ever done on the Yanmar. Far worse than any job on an automotive engine.

The previous year it was all of the AF coolant hoses and that was a breeze. I think the epiphany was more likely an acid flashback from the 60's. I had to weld up (courtesy of a friend) little tools to get into hidden banjo fittings. Much of the work was done in a mirror. Building the engine in a plant would have been easy. Surrounded by side walls and a rear wall, murder from every angle.

1676615826440.png

Think of me next time you have a miserable job and maybe we can swap jobs.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Why didn't you tell me before you started ? I replaced all of my sanitary hoses a couple of years ago and it wasn't a party but neither was it the worst job I'd ever done on the boat.

Much to my regret, last fall I experienced an epiphany and decided to replace all of the fuel lines on my Yanmar 2GM20F.

Worst job I have ever done on the Yanmar. Far worse than any job on an automotive engine.

The previous year it was all of the AF coolant hoses and that was a breeze. I think the epiphany was more likely an acid flashback from the 60's. I had to weld up (courtesy of a friend) little tools to get into hidden banjo fittings. Much of the work was done in a mirror. Building the engine in a plant would have been easy. Surrounded by side walls and a rear wall, murder from every angle.

View attachment 213031

Think of me next time you have a miserable job and maybe we can swap jobs.
Ralph
We have quite a few differences ,
Examples are that part of my soft ceiling has to come down (yuk!), just to get access to the hose clamps on the deck outleats,
And you have to completely rip down cabinetry up in that area.
Both hanging Lockers require total disassemmlbly
And you literally needed to pull both heads just so that you could get any kind of access to the optional 90 degree rotating outlet fitting .
And, it this isn’t tightened exactly evenly on all crews, you will crack the damned thing.
I have a full range of endoscopic cameras, more custom tools that you can inagine, and every way, know to mankind, to remotely hold tiny bolts & nuts in place while yiure desperately trying to get hardware lining up.
I have every type of stock, and modified, right Angle miniaturized ratcheting drive, for either sockets, or screwdriver heads.
In summary, there isn’t a tool that I haven’t bought over the years, which has some usefulness in getting very tight access components back together.,
The issue was that Hunter pre assembled hoses, etc, into the heads, macerators etc deck hitting, and then easily effected the routing, while the boat was open.
When they needed to connect the other end, they had 2 advaanges:
Everything is still loosely installed in the boat, so they can jostle around things like tanks and Mascerator pumps to effect the second end fit.. plus. The hoses are pre-cut length, based on the boat documents
There were ares where hoses needs to run between 2 walls in the bilge: effectively a VERY (tight fit 2”)
Yes, I did run fish ropes for these. Good luck Chuck.
Because the area was < 2” in with, I needed to see what mysterious otter cables (with use of endoscope), were blocking the pathway to feed the original hose back in. For these tight are, which had 90 degrees turns just to get the cable out of these hidden passages, I needed to make a “leader tool), which looks like a bullet., It has a tapered edge, slides into the hose (with the blunt edge), hand you screw it into the tubing (wood dowel.
Then, LOTS of Teflon grease into the lead end. If there was a time in your life to be generous with “the lube”, thus is it; my friends
It’s just deadly slow trying to pull the new hose in, as it’s a slightly larger hole with the new improved hose.
NIO WAY torush this…
You also wah

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Art. Sorry to hear about your head hose project. Had a similar issue a few years ago with a 16 foot clogged aft head discharge hose, most of it hidden amongst the various stringers. Replacing it was surprisingly easy. Just connected the old to the new, applied some lubricant to the new and while I pulled, my fellow skipper pushed. Slid right through, easy peasy. Just say'n.

I'll replace the forward head hose the same way once it fails to do the job. Ditto the overboard macerator hose. No stink from our other 1991 hoses yet. Some day maybe.

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
Congrats on the accomplishment! I've been fighting a boaty smell and have to assume that my 20-year-old hoses have something to do with it. Amazing how my list of projects never seems to get smaller (maybe I should hire someone). I don't mean to make you relive any of the trauma, but, any chance you had any photos to share? At least it might give us a chance to say “Hey Art, nice hoses”.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
OK,,,,, Here we go.

Ralph
We have quite a few differences ,
Examples are that part of my soft ceiling has to come down (yuk!), just to get access to the hose clamps on the deck outleats,
And you have to completely rip down cabinetry up in that area.
Both hanging Lockers require total disassembly
And you literally needed to pull both heads just so that you could get any kind of access to the very limited optional 90 degree rotating outlet fitting on the head exit.
And, if this isn’t tightened exactly evenly on all crews, you will crack the damned thing. Impossible to get replacements l.
I have a full range of endoscopic cameras, more custom tools that you can inagine, and every way, known to mankind, (.and dogs), to remotely hold tiny things in place. This is essential for installing “hidden” nuts and bolts while you're desperately trying to get hardware lining up.
I have every type of stock, and modified, right Angle miniaturized ratcheting drive, for either sockets, or screwdriver heads.
In summary, there isn’t a tool that I haven’t bought (or designed), over the years, which has some usefulness in getting very tight access components back together.,
The issue was that Hunter pre assembled hoses, etc, into the heads, macerators etc deck fitting, and then easily effected the routing, while the boat was open.
When they needed to connect the other end, they had 2 advaanges:
Everything is still loosely installed in the boat, so they can jostle around things like tanks and Mascerator pumps to effect the second end fit.. plus. The hoses are pre-cut length, based on the boat documents
There were places where hoses needed to run between 2 walls in the bilge: effectively a VERY (tight fit 2”)
Yes, I did run fish lines for these. Good luck Chuck.
Because the hidden area was < 2” in with, I needed to see what mysterious otter cables (with use of endoscope), were blocking the pathway to feed the original hose back in. For these tight are, which had 90 degrees turns just to get the cable out of these hidden passages, I needed to make a “leader tool), which looks like a bullet., It has a tapered edge, slides into the hose (with the blunt edge), hand you screw it into the tubing (wood dowel.
Then, LOTS of Teflon grease into the lead end. If there was a time in your life to be generous with “the lube”, thus is it; my friends.
It’s just deadly slow trying to pull the new hose in, as it’s a slightly larger hole with the new improved hose.
NIO WAY to rush this!!

I already went over how-to “re-install deck pump out fittings without using hose clamps using stainless wire, and a “clamptite “ tool..
NOT trivial.
If you recall, actual clamps made it close to impossible to re-install the deck fitting without significantly routing clearance holes the deck.
it’s critically important that you remove all sealant, which was mostly just junk- grade silicone that has been plastered in without regard to purpose.in any location.,
So, you’re into the home stretch with getting the deck fittings re:securetd into the deck.
Time to not get into a “trap for young players. All three Deck fittings can mount. In one of 3 orientations as the circumstance has 3 clearance holes on 120 degree pitch.
At this point, you have to look at the fitting.
it is marked which lettering which says “Waste.”
Thus must run fore & aft to match the water tank deck fulls.

At this point, you’ve already “lathered up” the deck, and the stainless cap with 3M 4000, and CC the other end of the hoes is connected back to the tank.
And,,,, there is no easy way to rotate the fitting, and keep it in place, while pushing downward to line up deck & fitting screw holes.
Ok, I’m assuming that you’re working solo on this project for the most part. Clearly, some of these procedures are remarkably easier if you can “borrow”, a set of hands from somebody temporarily.
So, as the screw holes are now covered in 4000, you really can’t see where to insert the screws, plus the hose has an imparted twist in it. It’s quite easy to start making a mess at this point. (No pun interned……coming up)

The solution is to get a sharp point awl.
Rotate the deck fitting, keeping it about 1”
Above the deck. Now, take the awl, and going through the deck fitting, start “poking at the deck, trying to find the screw hole with if covered with 4000.
Once you’ve found it, gently push down, put in the second & third screws, tighten down, remove the awl, and secure in the 3rd screw.
It is advised To replace the Mascerator impelker, or just replace entire Mascerator.,
There are valid reasons to do this,
For some incredible oversight during early production runs,, Jabsco elected to use long brass screws to hold the entire unit together.,
This started to smell, then invisibly drip, and finally explode during using the Mascerator. Not pleasant…, to say the least.
And, the bloody new SS screws are obscenely priced.,
Just get new units, and be done with it.

ive tried to give some tricks and pointers to make this incredibly shitty job, an bit less so.
If your 49 /50 is 10 years young, you going to be going down this path soon.
I suggest you use the usual tricks to confirm it’s the hose, but after 10 years, this is virtually guaranteed.

Best of luck with this project!!!!

Apr 6, 2004
Hunter 49 Downers Grove, IL
Art -

You just sent shivers down my spine! (and not the good kind!)

I'm having moderate PTSD reading your post having previously gone thru a complete sanitation refit on my H35.5, including tank, hoses, and head. I am keeping my fingers crossed that while we have the same era boats, mine was VERY lightly used by the previous owner and I believe they used the marina heads more than the boat heads. Pretty sure she was more of a dock queen before I got her, and our seasons (like yours) are really only half seasons. Fortunately no noticeable odor on board for us. That's not to say that I won't get there eventually, and I take your words to heart - "Hire someone".

T J

• Ha
Jan 4, 2006
"Lard tunderin' Jesus" I had no idea you were rebuilding the whole boat to install new sanitary lines.

I retract my offer to swap miserable jobs in the future. Maybe the renewed fuel lines on my boat were a mite simpler then your sanitary lines. As was mentioned somewhere above, having the deck and hull separated when the sanitary lines were first installed reduces the difficulty by 90% at least.

Not following your tribulations in dealing with the deck pump out fittings but here's my fabricated life saver for re-installing the pump out fitting and hose in an impossible location :

1676663165283.png
1676663278227.png

1676663333376.png

That was the most difficult part of the whole hose replacement job.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
Can’t thank you enough for this.

I feel much happier now
I broke the handle on the inlet valve for my head, so I decided it was time to replace all hoses and the tank which had its own problem. My only mistake was that since I hauled the boat to replace the inlet valve, I also had them replace the outlet - mistake! I only sail on the Chesapeake Bay and must use a pump out station, no over boarding waste. So my shinny new $500 (?) outlet valve got plugged off and will probably never be used. It also cleaned up my bathroom area since I removed the manual overboard pump.
WhatsApp Image 2019-05-17 at 3.07.45 PM (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-30 at 1.13.57 PM (1).jpeg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Type I treatment devices (Raritan ElectroScan, PuraSan...I recommend the PuraSan)) are legal everywhere in the Bay except Herring Bay. Inflation has just about doubled the price, but that won't last forever. So start saving your pennies for when the price comes back down to reasonable. Still won't be cheap, but worth it. Raritan PuraSan Promo Sheet

--Peggie

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks for the information about Type 1 treatment devices, but unfortunately - well actually very fortunately - I dock my boat at Herrington Harbor South where getting a pump out is merely a call away.

P.S. Love your book!!

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Thanks for the information about Type 1 treatment devices, but unfortunately - well actually very fortunately - I dock my boat at Herrington Harbor South where getting a pump out is merely a call away.

P.S. Love your book!!
Mike,
I’m looking at the install, and I have a concern.
You really should consider double hose clamp on these lines: especially the through hull ones. There is a lot written up on this.
Best of luck

Jan 22, 2008
Mike,
I’m looking at the install, and I have a concern.
You really should consider double hose clamp on these lines: especially the through hull ones. There is a lot written up on this.
Best of luck
THANKS SO MUCH!!! WILL DO IMMEDIATELY.

Mike

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Mike, I’m looking at the install, and I have a concern.
Best of luck
All sanitation hoses and any hose that connect to a below-waterline thru-hull should be double clamped. The screws should be 180 degrees apart--or at least 90 degrees apart if access makes 180 impossible orso impractical that it might as well be (if you put them on the same side the hose can pucker, which kinda defeats the purpose of using two).

--Peggie

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Ok, I knew this job had to be done, as the interior was getting a “head odour” 2 seasons ago. I thought it was a fitting leak, but finally determined the hoses were past their “best before date”
Everything.
Replaced it with the best hose I could buy, so that this would be off the radar.
I pulled all the hoses in the fall, as I needed to get anything that stank out of the boat, and let the air get fresh.
I knew this was going to be an awful job, because just getting the hoses out was a battle. Putting them back in was much harder, as there were many precise fits that needed to be managed. And the boat was totally ripped apart to get at everything.

Most major jobs I’ve done on board have done “beauty effect” afterwards. Not this one. It was akin to tearing up your house foundation to fix weeping tiles.
None of my friends (all 3 of them), who come on board this summer are going to say , “Hey Art, nice hoses”

Hire someone.
Been there. Done that. Smaller boat and no doubt a more basic system, but all the same aches and scrapes. True, no results visible to guests, but huge satisfaction hearing comments about how clean and fresh the boat smells.

Zencra

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 49 Melbourne
Everything.

Hire someone.
the one job I'm not looking forward to.

Jan 4, 2006
the one job I'm not looking forward to.
I had made preparations last fall to replace the two 3/4" vent lines on the holding tank. Purchased the high priced spread, Trident VAC XHD Sanitation hose and finally got around to trying to replace them yesterday at about 45° F outside temperature. Replaced them once 10 years before and don't remember a lot of problems. Guess I forgot that that vinyl tubing turns into steel pipe at lower temperatures. Not much luck in pulling the new tubing using the old tubing. Managed about 2". Reassembled the fittings and will wait for hot weather this summer.

Lesson learned. Wait for warm weather before working with vinyl tubing unless you are trying for a hernia.

Jan 22, 2008
All sanitation hoses and any hose that connect to a below-waterline thru-hull should be double clamped. The screws should be 180 degrees apart--or at least 90 degrees apart if access makes 180 impossible orso impractical that it might as well be (if you put them on the same side the hose can pucker, which kinda defeats the purpose of using two).

--Peggie
All hoses below water line now have double clamps set 180 degrees apart. Thanks for the catch!