Zincs on Keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I recently refinished the keel on my V25. The PO had painted it with anti fouling paint and it was peeling off in gigantic chunks with some of the iron. I wire brushed it with an angle grinder down to the bare metal. I then treated it with a rust converter and primed it with an industrial rusted metal primer. After that two coats of grey industrial enamel. I knew that this was not as good as the extensive epoxy treatment that I have seen on some of the posts but hoped for the best. Well rust is poking through and of course the marks where I have dinged the leading edge on rocks etc. are showing rust.

Has anyone thought of attching zincs to the keel? It seems as though that is pretty standard on everything metal. Just a thought.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Will the zinc stop rust? I thought it just stopped or slowed the metal from disappearing from electrolysis?

On the paint on most of these jobs you end up with a lot of labor and I just can't see after doing all of that not using an epoxy paint. Something like Tuff Stuff's epoxy barrier coat is around $52...

http://www.bottompaintstore.com/tuff-stuff-highbuild-epoxy-primer-by-sea-hawk-paints-p-9473.html

...for a 1/2 gallon kit and you don't have to mix all of it at once and that will go a long ways. I used the 2 gallon kit (about $120) for 2 coats on the bottom of our S.

Summit Racing also has epoxy primers that would be good that aren't that expensive. I've used rustoleum like everyone else in the world and don't any more. I hate the long dry times and don't really see that much difference vs. other rattle can spray paints.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
They use zinc to protect buried gasoline tanks, and I have installed a zinc rod attached to the metal sleeve of my well. The sleeve used to flake off big hunks of rust into the well. Now it doesn't. So, I'd think it would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.