YTraveler for Capri 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ernie

I'm considering adding a traveler (with a car) to the transom of my Capri 18...a traveler similar to that commonly found mounted on the transom of the Catalina 22. I'm also considering adding a running backstay similar to the Catalina 22. Has anyone tried the same...any advice/admonishments? Ernie

A

Arcadio S. Jose

Traveler on Capri 18

I added a traveler on my 87 Capri 18. I mounted it in the front of the cock pit behind of the companion way door on top of the seats. It required fabricating blocks due to the angle and contour of the seats. It works pretty good. I seldom let the mainsheet out as its easer to ease the traveler or bring it back in. It also doubles as a place to sit when the kids are driving. I put a cushion on top of it and sit with my legs inside the cabin. It also works great when I am running down wind. With the main out, I can hold the mainsheet with my body or hand to prevent an uncontrolled accidental jibe. I installed the traveler because on a uncontrolled accidental jibe, the boom missed my wife but the mainsheet wacked my wife in the face. I think it was worth the modification, about $250 installed. You might want to look around for a traveler you can mount below the seats similar to the Capri 26 before they changed it to cabin top traveler. I also installed a genny. If you are interested send me an Email

E

Ernie

Traveler for Capri 18

Thanks for the information Arcadio. I'm a big fan of mid-boom sheeting such as your traveler provides...there's a better sense of feel for the boat under way. I'm going to take the traveler idea back to the drawing board to evaluate the trade offs re: additional "stuff" in the cockpit. I'll also take a look the cockpit for the Capri 26. I too am setup for a genny.

J

Joe

Also considering a traveller

I am also considering adding a traveller to our Capri 18. I like the idea of putting it on the transom, just to keep the cockpit clear. Putting it close to the companion way also seems good, except isn't it hard to reach if your on the tiller? I have seen some with it added across the seats about midway in the cockpit.

E

Ernie

Joe...Capri 18 Traveler

I come from a racing background (e.g., 420's, 470's, International 14 Grand Prix, etc.) where there is a need for the mainsheet to be really handy and where also it's rarely cleated. I don't anticipate ever racing the Capri 18. I've sailed the Cape Dory Typhoon (a 19 footer) and CD 25D where the mainsheet is located aft of the tiller. I can't help but think that if one is coordinated enough to sail, a transom mounter traveler is no big deal...it works on the Catalina 22 and a host of other boats. I agree however that a mid-cockpit mounted traveler with mid-boom sheeting would be ideal...but we're talking trade-offs here.

Status
Not open for further replies.