Your thoughts on my placement of an Airconditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

abk

Aug 9, 2007
Hunter H 26 Somers Point, NJ
Added info: Your thoughts on placement of Airconditioner

Added to the post.
I have received some great ideas and various ways to install the A/C but I am most interested your opinion on what I plan to do and any ideas or mods. I plan to frame it in with wood around the base, line it with plastic and drill a hole into the bilge for the condensate...

I have a Mac 25, 1984... The hatch A/C is costly and needs to be removed to sail. I don't want that hassle. The use of a self contained portable unit that needs an outside vent won't fit in the area where the galley was stored. (There goes that idea) The A/C in a suitcase is not available anymore. The ice chest evaporative cooler seems to be a good idea but I really wonder on it's ability to cool down the cabin and the ice bill would probably be big and it'll need constant replenshiment. Placing an A/C unit in the companion way is a problem too with the entry and a big first step along with the unit sticking out into the cockpit. Placing it in between the pop top and hull has been suggested but it leaks and is kind of in the way. The water cooled systems available are worth more that the boat and require plumbing and thru hull hardware.... I read that someone broke apart the window unit and placed components in different places. That sounds like an engineering problem.

Here is my plan. The area in front of the cockpit hatch and just to the left of the keel winch, port side is where I want to place a small window A/C unit. I plan to use straps to secure it in place just behind the table seating area with a wood frame around the base with a strap over top.

I thought about mounting a window shade that will fit around the A/C unit and block the space between the A/C and the winch bulkhead. On the starboard side I'll use the same set up to help block the hot air from spilling back into the cabin. I can crack open the cockpit seat hatch to allow the hot air to exit from the area under the cockpit. I can always add a small exhaust fan there if needed too. I'll run the condensate into the bilge which is nearby.
I understand I can place the unit on the starboard side but I need that space for storage anyway.

So, am I a "MADMAN" in my quest for comfortable nights when in port? What is your thought on this Rube Goldberg set up. Do ya think I'll be melting the fiberglass? Setting the life preservers on fire? Possibly a better system for sealing off the hot air collection space? Should I just forget about it and sweat all night ?

The area under the cockpit is really only for storage on my model... They did open it up in later models as "usable space" I would like to make it usable to collect and discharge "hot air."

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
I am having a hard time visualizing how that would work very well. My Mac26s is different and has more room on the aft berth, as you mentioned. I was thinking about a "portable" ac unit & run the vent out into the cockpit or companion way. That may not be practical for your boat.

Although I have never been really excited by installing an ac in the companion way (as you mentioned) I did see this project:

http://wlbutts.multiply.com/photos/album/13/Companionway_AC_Project#

There is a thread over at TSBB about ac installs:

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi/read/832863

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I've seen companion way a/c boxes built like a step/seat. where you could leave it in place.

the portable ones that just have the exhaust vent work well. I have the window unit and its really only effective at night or if you close off some of the boat. stepping over is a small price to pay to sleep well.

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
A few years ago, I jury rigged a small 5k window unit into my forward hatch. I cut a piece of tarp and also used a couple of towels to "seal" it. I propped it underneath and with a couple of eyes bolted into the sides. I tied line to the eyes to keep the unit in place. It worked fine and had the advantage of being out of the way. Even that small an ac kept the boat cold in the Texas summer.

I don't have that ac any more but ifI were to try this again, I'd get the smallest unit I could find so that it would fit well in the hatch. I would also want the vents to point downward.

Here's a picture of a window unit in a nice looking homemade hatch cover. If I were a better handyman, this is probably the way I would go. It doesn't look as if it would be hard at all to step over the unit.

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.

I might think about putting it on the port side and have someone make a cut out in the pop top cover.

A 1/2 inch base mounted to the a/c with a folding board at the back to level the unit and a couple of z bends like the ones that hold the top down on the front to secure it. This kind of mount would not add much over hight to the unit for storage.

The condension would run outside the cabin and over board.

Entry and exit from the cabin would be normal.

A curtain to close off the aft part of the cabin and a fan to push the air to the v berth.

A boom tent made from that green stuff that they use in the garden shop will stop about 50% of the heat and still give visiblity and breeze.

The same tent will keep the fore deck cooler too.

And you can sew it with just a regular sewing machine.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I tried the a/c in the port poptop. and it worked at night. I didn't need to remove it when I went sailing (calm - keys summer conditions), but the seal was only fair. a/c got to ~78degrees which was enough. (well over 85 at night). but not enought for the day time 98 temps...

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
Bite the bullet and get a carry on cruise air. You will get the money back when you sell the boat. If you do not want to spend for a new one look on Craig's list or local eBay. Those home ac,s will work but are not designed for boating. I have had one on my old oday 30. Let me sleep in Florida in the summer but did not really cool the whole boat. Even now I have a 16000 btu on a 34 Catalina and it barely keeps up in the summer in the daytime.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Ya gotta shade the deck, there is no insulation there.

Naples--swamp buggy racing in the '60's.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Those cruisair units are $1399 now and the rag to cover it with another $300.
Yeeow!

Jun 30, 2007
Macgregor - Spring Creek, FL
I know space on my 26s is different than the 25 but since others with the "s" have chimned in , so will I. I installed a GE unit in my 26c in the big rear laz. I run it with a remote with the laz top up. I installed a snap in place holder for the laz lid. The unit is framed by pressure treated 1X4 with ends dadoed and glued and the bolted in to the hole I cut in the laz wall. I set the boat level on the trailer using readings from a 48" level aligned on the water line and got the right tilt on the ac. The ac was installed from inside the boat and the back part of the unit sits on cypress planks beveled to allow for the right angle of support of the rear of the ac unit. The imprint of the unit is minimal with a total depth of only 13.5 inches. The cypress is glued to the bottom of the laz with 3M4200. I had installed shorepower in my boat with 15 amp breakers so power is no problem. I was worried that the ac angle would not be right but first launch after the project was finished proved the angle was perfect using a short level. We don't sleep in that "queen size berth" but rather in the main cabin area since I widened and elongated them and added 4" HD foam cushions. We store stuff back there but leave an opening for the cool flow of air. I got this idea from reading about someone mounting a window ac in a hatch on a Catalina 30 and leaving the hatch open while running. Hot air rises, it works beautifully.

Attachments

abk

Aug 9, 2007
Hunter H 26 Somers Point, NJ
Bite the bullet and get a carry on cruise air. You will get the money back when you sell the boat. If you do not want to spend for a new one look on Craig's list or local eBay. Those home ac,s will work but are not designed for boating. I have had one on my old oday 30. Let me sleep in Florida in the summer but did not really cool the whole boat. Even now I have a 16000 btu on a 34 Catalina and it barely keeps up in the summer in the daytime.
If I bite the bullet it may go off! I appreciate the suggestion. I have enough to do and do not want to add lugging a 90 pound unit on and off and on and off again and again. But I do appreciate the reply! Thanks... I'll probably drop it overboard when it slips out of my grasp... Also storage off the boat is another concern too.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I built this wall all the way across the back for cold but I guess it could work for your needs too.

That entire area is open on the 26 clasics.

It also make a great seat back

Status
Not open for further replies.