You thought your engine had troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
If you think that your small outboard wah having problems with the new gas just wait untill this passes.

Not only your boat, mower, chain saw and car or truck will have trouble if not nearly new.

I guess this will stimulate the eccomny by forcing you to by new or electric as the alky percentage goes up.

I can't copy and past the article so you will have to go to page 13 and read.

Your digital copy of the December 25 The Log Newspaper is now available!
Click Here

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
BoatUS has been following this too.
STA-BIL makes a marine formula that is supposed to combat ethanol problems. Shouldn't be too costly to maintain the Mac. Hope they come to their senses though.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
lets see how this looks...

(basicly story is EPA delays decision on going from E10 to E15 is delayed)

-a lot of the old hatteres's and berturms has fiberglass tanks... big trouble for them...

Attachments

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
lets see how this looks...

(basicly story is EPA delays decision on going from E10 to E15 is delayed)

-a lot of the old hatteres's and berturms has fiberglass tanks... big trouble for them...
Bill can you get non-E10 down there? I really don't want to run that in our outboard next fall. We will have an 18 gallon tank by then and I would like to fill it when we get there, but would fill it north of there if we had to.

Thanks,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Sum, I've heard rumors that some marinas had straight gas, but I really doubt that...

(AFAIK)
All fuel comes thru port everglades, and it already got the additives, according to some racing buddies...

OTOH, there is a VP fuel station (in FLL) that sells by the gallon, and you can probably get some 110 race gas, or some AV gas, buts over 8$/gal.
I also have a qtr mile buddy that gets his Sunoco 104 or 108 by the 5 gal can.. don't think you want any of that either..

All pumps will have a sticker saying no more than 10% ethanol.. (or they should by law).

I do remember seeing some marina advertising straight gas, but I think they were fibbing... and I don't remember where it was... (but I'll keep my eye out)

-I'd still tow empty, and fill just before you get to the ramp...

I'm running the gas out of the motor and carb, every time... not sure if thats ok on a 4 stroke... better chk that!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Sum, I've heard rumors that some marinas had straight gas, but I really doubt that.......!
With the 18 gallon tank I'm hoping we don't have to re-fill it down there. Hey we have a sailboat. So I hope we aren't buying gas at marinas.

I guess I wasn't clear, do the normal gas stations down there sell regular old style gas along with E10 or is everything a mix now?

I don't need race gas, the outboard would make less HP with that. Thanks,

Sum

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
All pump gas is now 10%.

Something I have learned because I fill the boat tank (7 1/2) gallons each time before we go out is that two stroke mix (100:1) keeps for a long time and runs just fine in four strokes.

The bad thing with the addition of more alky in the gas is the fact that it does not like aluminim and rubber.

The 15% will also get lower gas milage and the carbs will likely need rejeting on anything not fuel injected with a oxgen sensor.

I have allready had to redo motorcycle carbs I race jetted for straight gas.

I guess I had better get out my jet drills (oops, that is aginst federal law!)

Mr. Bill
Running a four stroke out of gas is ok.
Running a two stroke out of gas allways made me think of what does the motor use for oil when it revs up high just before it runs out of premix?

I just use the drain on mine and drain it into a paper towel.

Mar 2, 2009
Columbia Yachts C22 Long Beach
Most CO2 Pollution comes from...

Coal Burning Power Plants. Not gas burning engines. This is another case of environmental policy being dodged by big industry (the real polluters), and burdening the little guy (sailors/lumberjacks/moped racers).

Plus, ethanol is a joke. Corn subsidy in the US is why we have corn syrup in everything instead of sugar.

Small engines like outboards and lawnmowers should be converted to CNG (compressed natural gas). It's a small piece that hooks to the fuel connector to adapt the CNG tank. The CNG tank itself, is safer to handle than liquid petroleum.

Large engines like cars and sportfishers need to run on algae diesel. (Solazyme.com). No modification to the engine is required.

Industry lobby will try to keep us buying petroleum, corn, and new versions of our old stuff unless we, the public, step up and make demands.

Sep 25, 2008
I have recently been adding Starbrites Startron enzyme fuel additive to all my gasoline powered things. This includes my cars, my outboard for my Mac, my outboard for my small motorboat, my generator, and my lawn tractor and mowers.

I was curious to try it after I went to the Tampa Bay boat show and read all the stuff on it, particularly it's benefits regarding E10. Go to their website and read what they have to say- I'd like to say I understand why its supposed to work because I'm buying the stuff but I don't.

Anyway, I initially tried Startron in my 24 year old 50 hp Merc. We like to explore up and down rivers so I know miles and gallons used. I had more power to plane and my mileage improved significantly more than just offsetting E10 loss. One of my cars (1999) has a continuous factory MPG readout. The car gets 11%+ better MPG over well known routes. Because of this and also because the product protects fuel from aging (I used Stabil before) I have now added it to the other gasoline engines mentioned but I haven't used them enough to get a feel of any benefit. All of these engines are in top form and I do all minor and major maintenance and repair myself and have notice nothing adverse.

Other than previously using Stabil I'm not a big fan of additives but so far I believe Starton does what it claims. Does anyone have any experience with this product? As I said, I'm no chemist and don't understand why it works and don't like wasting money anymore than the next guy. I admit I haven't had long experience with it, I could be wrong or perhaps there are long term adverse issues that will crop up.

This ridiculous E15 sham makes this even more important. Any comments, advice, or information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.