Yet another boat off the trailer thread

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Wait a sec. You have to lift the transom to change the cable?? I was going to change mine today, but I assumed it could be done right on the trailer.

Do I have bad news coming?? LOL
My trailer bunks are low enough that the keel sits mostly in the keel slot, and the eye-bolt is inaccessible; with the boat on the bunks, I can lower the keel enough to put the weight on the trailer, but not enough to get to the eye bolt and clevis pin. Or - more likely - I'm not smart enough to figure out how, and just overthought the whole thing :confused:...

If your boat sits just a bit higher (or your keel rest is a bit lower), you can probably do it without lifting anything.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
My trailer bunks are low enough that the keel sits mostly in the keel slot, and the eye-bolt is inaccessible; with the boat on the bunks, I can lower the keel enough to put the weight on the trailer, but not enough to get to the eye bolt and clevis pin. Or - more likely - I'm not smart enough to figure out how, and just overthought the whole thing :confused:...

If your boat sits just a bit higher (or your keel rest is a bit lower), you can probably do it without lifting anything.
I have the same condition on the trailer, another method is to float the boat and put on your dive gear!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Yes, but I had to support the transom and jack up the trailer tongue. I already had sawhorses and a cradle-thingy built, so it took me all of an extra ten minutes or so.

THEN I pulled the winch's access panel off, and got a good look at my winch for the first time in a couple years. :yikes:

New winch is on order. ;)

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Yes, but I had to support the transom and jack up the trailer tongue. I already had sawhorses and a cradle-thingy built, so it took me all of an extra ten minutes or so.

THEN I pulled the winch's access panel off, and got a good look at my winch for the first time in a couple years. :yikes:

New winch is on order. ;)
I left the winch cover off when I rebuilt the boat. I did not like not being able to easily inspect something that mission critical

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I left the winch cover off when I rebuilt the boat. I did not like not being able to easily inspect something that mission critical
I wasn't as purposeful about it; I pulled my panel off a few years ago, and it just never made it back on. We use the space for a little trash can and water-bottle storage. It's ugly, but that's not the only ugly bit of our boat (or the skipper for that matter).