Yep...Not Doing This Again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2010
Venture 2-22 Oneida Lake
Looked funny, so I snapped a picture of it. I towed my M25 15 miles to the marina yesterday with my Ford Escape (didn't use this vehicle to launch the boat though). Despite the fact that the vehicle is rated for towing up to 3500lbs, I'll never haul the M25 with something this small again. Anything over 50mph got really scary...tail wagging the dog kind of stuff. But hey, I tried.:D

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Did you haul with the motor on the transom?
But yes, 3500 lb. rating is cutting it thin!

Apr 23, 2010
Venture 2-22 Oneida Lake
Yes, I hauled it with the motor on the transom---but I tied the outboard to the stern rail so the weight was on the rail instead of just the motor mount. It does okay like that.

Oddly, as bad as the handling manners got above 45mph, it did just fine with braking (courtesy of the trailer's surge brakes, no doubt). Also, the side view mirrors were too small...couldn't see a thing behind me.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Yes, I hauled it with the motor on the transom---but I tied the outboard to the stern rail so the weight was on the rail instead of just the motor mount. It does okay like that..
Getting the weight off the stern and into bow would have helped with trailer balance, tongue weight and associated "dog wagging"....

But your not doing this again, so the point is moot...

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
You will have the same problem with a different vehicle. the problem is tongue weight, or lack of.

can you lift the trailer off the ball? then its too light. should be ~250#

putting the engine on the trailer tongue will be a quick fix, moving the axle back is the better fix.

-ymmv.

Apr 23, 2010
Venture 2-22 Oneida Lake
The trailer could definitely use more tongue weight. But the rear suspension of the Escape was already soft under what tongue weight was already there, so I would need airbags in the rear suspension to keep the ride height up. I'd install a set, but I can't launch with this little thing without getting all four wheels wet before the boat floats off, so it doesn't seem worth it.

What's funny is that my Blazer handled the boat much better, even with the same tongue weight.

Apr 29, 2012
Macgregor Venture 25 Council Bluffs, IA
Back in the day, young and dumb. My buddy had a 17 foot I/O. He pulled it with his Nissan 280 Z. He would put in and take out with the Z. Usually worked, but sometimes the ramp was just too slick and we'd have to get a tug. Wish I would have taken a picture. I never rode with him in the car, he said it was OK, but he was sometimes full of .......it.

Apr 23, 2010
Venture 2-22 Oneida Lake
A 280Z!? That must have been quite the sight!:D

Perhaps I'll try readjusting the tongue weight and give it another go; but something larger like a suburban would definitely be nice!

Sep 30, 2008
Macgregor venture 25 port dufferin
Anthony's adventure

Hi All
I used to pull Nanna a 75 Venture with my Aztec, a funny sight Aztec being bright yellow and the length of the boat and trailer it was a sight.The Aztec could pull the boat all day with no problems, launching and retrival was another kettle of fish, fwd and 3000lbs on the hitch made it impossible.
When I first bought her I inspected this and inspected that and made the decision to buy her, so the day I picked her up, lovely day My son in law and I had a harrowing drive home. The road I took lots of hills and even more pot holes and this being my first time towing anything I was nervous, but we got her home and as soon as she was in the driveway I shouted to my daughter get me a glass pf wine.Steady the nerves. Later that week after launching the boat I noticed that the lines for the surge brakes at the axle were not even connected so no brakes on the way home also I come to find out about a week after that that the Aztecs rear brakes were just about shot. So as I said got her home glass of wine everything good. I think I was just lucky and also being nervous overly cautious, no a bad thing all things considered.
Now Brakes fixed, bought a 4wd dodge ram 1500 with a 5.7lt hemi, no problems.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
See now, it's the tow vehicle that makes sailing expensive.. I'm going to put a hitch on my wife's Buick Terraza ( same as a Chevy Uplander ) so I can make the spring and fall haul and of course carry the trailer home after launching and to take back up to retrieve in the fall. The Marina guy will ramp it for me on his truck.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I tow my 26D with a Dodge Caravan. Its only 2250 lb with the trailer. The van and hitch rated for 3500 lb.
Its NOT ideal. I also pull it with my 2004 Dakota on the bumper hitch and it works much better. I am now planing the trips away from our lake withe the truck.
You have to remember that the older Mac's have that big chunk keel ballast to haul with them. On the newer ones we just dump it out.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Beside tonge weight the trailer should be angled down a bit for good towing.

Apr 23, 2010
Venture 2-22 Oneida Lake
Trailer angled down for better handling, eh? Hmm. I actually bought a 5" drop hitch and flipped it upside down so that the trailer was mostly leveled out for towing. I can see how that wouldn't be ideal if tongue weight was low, but I've never heard that recommendation before. Will have to try that next time.

Tow vehicles definitely make sailing more expensive. I like the Escape as a daily driver, but it's barely capable enough of getting the boat to the marina. I can't imagine trying to pull the boat up the ramp with it. Reading some of the responses here (concerning fwd vehicles) has certainly helped me decide not to try it. I would hate to spend the money on a bigger vehicle just because of the boat, but hassle-free and safer towing is probably worth the money.;)

Eventually, that is.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Slightly different angle but what about the case where the tow vehicle is just used to get something like an older 25 or 26 foot Mac (i.e., under 3000 pound boat and trailer) in and out of the water such as if you had mast up storage near the ramp? Or if the boat was stored just a few miles from the ramp and you never needed to get over 30 mph.

I would think that a small four wheel drive or all wheel drive would work fine even if the tow rating was well under the trailer weight..

I’ve got this case where a 26S is 850 miles away and its expensive in gas to bring a full size truck when the only reason to bring the truck is for the few mile less the 30 mph trip to launch the boat.

Apr 29, 2012
Macgregor Venture 25 Council Bluffs, IA
Walt, Would it be worth looking into renting a pick up when you get there? Around here the local lumberyards rent pick ups for people to haul home their goodies. Maybe that would be a cheap and easy way to get one. Just a thought.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
That could be an option - Im not sure about the towing aspect however, I think the rental deal changes if you intend to tow something but havent really looked into this.

Im just hoping some future auto I get would be easy on the gas for the long drive but still be up for a very short low speed tow and be able to handle the ramp. Might take a little longer to pull the boat out waiting for the water ballast to drain.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
..... I would hate to spend the money on a bigger vehicle just because of the boat, but hassle-free and safer towing is probably worth the money.;)

Eventually, that is.

You can pick up a 150,000 mile Suburban ('99 or newer) in good shape for less than $4000 that should still have over 100,000 miles left in it before needing an engine/trans. replacement. That is what we did. It gets 16-17 without the boat and about 11 with it fully loaded. We don't drive it much except on trips with the boat, so count on it lasting probably as long as we are sailing since we are in our late 60's.

You might get a couple more MPG with something else towing, but most vehicles drop into the 10-12 mpg range towing a big load unless it is a diesel and they are going to cost you. The Suburban's low entry cost and low up-keep will buy a lot of gas. Plates and just liability insurance on it will also be cheaper.

We tow with both outboards on the back of the Mac, 19 gallons of gas in the internal tank, over 40 gallons of water onboard and about everything else needed for one month plus trips and the trailer is heavier with the second axle and bunk. The Suburban tows and stops great (trailer has surge brakes). We do pull the rudder on the road as I don't want to take a chance on it getting hit if we were rear-ended,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Status
Not open for further replies.