Yanmar starting problem

bart

Nov 5, 2012
hunter 41 cranston,RI
The Yanmar 4JH4AE in my Hunter sailboat is not starting easily due I believe to air getting into the system. If I open up the throttle and crank it for a long period it will eventually start at high rpm which is not good for a cold engine. I have tightened all the hose clamps on the fuel lines and see no visible leakage. My boat has an electric fuel pump which may be the problem. Any ideas?

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Need a lot more info here. Just launched, what service done etc. ? Fuel pump strainer cleaned, nice tick tick sound? Fresh fuel filter, oil water separator drained, engine auto bleed or must you do it?

bart

Nov 5, 2012
hunter 41 cranston,RI
Boat was just commissioned at a local yard with all filters changed. Engine runs perfectly after I get it started. I have bled the filter which shows a lot of air. We took her out for a sail, shut the engine down for an hour or two and had to crank it over with almost full throttle for a while before it would restart. Is there a strainer in the electric fuel pump? I didn’t think there was anything to service in that.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The biggest problem I see here is that you had a yard do the work. Learn to do all of this yourself and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches (and $$$).

All that @odaydokay said plus we'll need a sketch showing where the elec. pump is mounted and where the #1 and #2 filters are located. Sounds like an air leak and I would expect to see signs of leakage somewhere due to the pressure of the pump.

bart

Nov 5, 2012
hunter 41 cranston,RI
I used to do the work myself but a bad back made me start using so called professional help.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
a bad back made me start using so called professional help.
YIPES ........................ I'm sure we could swap a few stories there:(. Too many marathons and now paying the price. Only remedy I found on contorted boat jobs was to work for 5 min. then walk and stretch for 10 min.

For now, follow up on replies #2 and #4 and let's get this solved.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Chances are high that the fuel pump has a fine strainer (sieve) in it. If it is not cleaned out, you will get erratic performance for sure. Must be done each season in spring along with the other stuff I mentioned above. Also if there is sludge in the bottom of the tank you will just pull it into that fuel pump sieve. Have a look at where you did the bleed. Did it get sealed up properly again. On my boat a large hex nut with sealing washer. I do my work myself at 74 as I don't trust others to something that could endanger my life on the high seas, so maybe you hire a helper and you teach then oversee him.