Yanmar fuel problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grandpay@aol.com

I have followed the thread about the "cold start", No fuel problem on the C320's. I have tried working with my local service facility with no luck. They claim they cannot get a service kit from Yanmar. If you aren't familiar with the problem it goes like this, engine fires right up then dies as if running out of fuel. After bleeding or pumping the throttle, if you are lucky, it will start again and keep on running. If you shut it off and let it sit for a few hours it will also start right up but if you let it sit overnight or longer you go through the whole process again. The alleged fix is to the fuel line that allows fuel to drain back to tank???? I need help. Possibly a fix I can do myself because I have had a repair order in for over a year.

J

john renfro

fuel

i know little adout diesel engins. it sounds like your initial start up is running off of residual fuel in the injector distribution block, and you may have a weak fuel pump that can't maintain pressure in the lines and your fuel drains back into the tank . this may not help you but maybe the repair shop can test the pump and lines to check for pump pressure and that the system will hold pressure over time. john

P

Patrick Ewing

Check the fuel tank pickup tube -

some of them have a screen which will plug up but not completely or repeatedly. You may also have water in your fuel tank. You may have an air leak in the system. I would try to eliminate the various problems by isolating the possible locations of each one. Try to use another fuel tank temporarily with known good fuel and see if the problem goes away. Replace hoses and tighten clamps as best you can. Look for cracked rubber tubing and loose fittings. Your particular problem sounds like one I had with a plugged fuel pickup though so I would start there.

S

Stan Rogacevicz

Cold Start Problem

I had the problem and on the c320 list I ended up as the clearing house for info on it. In my first summer with my new c320 (99), Yanmar came out and fixed it at my marina as warentee work from my dealer. For some reason after my marina changed fuel filters last spring (2000) it came back. The way my marina screws things up maybe they pulled off or apart whatever the Yanmar service guy fixed. I never saw or couldn't recognize the actual fix. I fixed it by taking the suggestions of some people on the list and simply clamped off the return hose - Problem Fixed ! It appears the way the return hose was routed it created an air lock. Stan "Christy Leigh" c320 #656 srogacev@holycross.edu

G

Gordon Torresen

C320, what engine ?

Please let us know which engine and its year. There are a few problems that we might be able to help cure. Also, state if this is a new problem or if it has been there since the engine was new.

S

Stan Rogacevicz

Cold Start 2

Gordon, I'll just add a little more non-technical info that I have. The problem existed from day 1 on my and other Yanmar 3gm30f (or somthing like that) installed in c320's hull #'s in the mid 600's. Yanmar knew about the problem and when contacted by dealerships responded quickly. When I say I acted as a "clearing house" for info I don't mean to imply any great depth of knowlege on my part. I was just compiling the complaints for owners to present to their dealerships as proof this was not an individual problem but a Yanmar factory defect reported by many across the country. Yanmar came out and fixed mine and another c320 in my marina the same day. The talk/assumption/rumor was that they had tried a different configuration in the return lines to help with polution control ? ........ I don't know. Stan "Christy Leigh" c320 #656

G

Grandpay@aol.com

3gm30f

The boat is a 1999 with the 27hp Yanmar. This problem has existed since the boat was new. Every Yanmar dealer seems to know of this problem but mine can't get it fixed. I saw a posting that identified many C320's with this problem. I am at my wits end. I want this thing fixed even if I have to do it myself.

G

Gordon Torresen

3GM30F fuel problem

Yanmar has issued a Service Advisory, dated Novemnber 1, 2000, relative to your problem. It requires a few parts and a little time. Your local authorized Yanmar service center can provide the parts and be compensated for up to one hour labor for the repair. Unfortunately, if you choose to do the job yourself, you're on your own. This information should help to get your local guy going. If there are further questions from you or your Yanmar mechanic, I will do my best. Also, let me know in which Harrison Township you are located. I know of one in MI and one in NJ and I'm sure there must be more.

Status
Not open for further replies.