Yanmar 40 running hot [plus a couple questions (Where is seacock & Impeller access?)]

Nov 1, 2020
Catalina 390 Clearwater
*Catalina 390- New to the Catalina world. Where on (my) boat is the seacock? Aslo, where is the access panel for the impeller? Also, when I find that the impeller is ok, (already verified that the coolant level is good), what is the next logical step in troubleshooting this?

Google and Youtube both seem not to acknowlege the existence of the C-390

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @Barflyer808 to the forum.
Am I to guess you are new to bigger boats?

On all boats, even new to me, I would follow the hose till I found the seacock attached. Then I’d open and close it to see if when open that the water would go to the place I expected. If not I’d keep looking. There are only a couple of possibilities.

The impeller is inside the raw water pump. The raw water pump is connected to the raw water strainer. From the raw water strainer the hose goes to the seacock. Most boats have raw water strainers, but not all. If no strainer the hose will go straight to the seacock. Do you know what these parts look like?

The impeller will be inside the pump. You will close the raw water seacock. Open the impeller cover, remove and replace the impeller. Then refit the gasket and cover onto the pump.

Is there a problem you are having or are you just exploring and verifying your boat components?

Nov 1, 2020
Catalina 390 Clearwater
I am having an engine overheat issue on all RPM settings above 1000. There is water flow but I dont know if its appropriate flow amount. I think I found the impeller access cover plate but there are nothing but hoses going everywhere. Also there are many valves to choose from in a few places.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
The fact that you have some water coming out indicates that the thru-hull is open but it’s possible that it is partially covered on the outside or that your raw water strainer is full of weeds or you are missing some vanes on your raw water pump impeller. Check the strainer first, it’s easiest.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
*Catalina 390- New to the Catalina world. Where on (my) boat is the seacock? Aslo, where is the access panel for the impeller? Also, when I find that the impeller is ok, (already verified that the coolant level is good), what is the next logical step in troubleshooting this?

Google and Youtube both seem not to acknowlege the existence of the C-390
I’m not sure if you have this but it might help.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Usual Suspect. Good possibility. Clean that out and you likely will see an increase in water being expelled with a lower temperature on the engine while running.