Yanmar 2qm15 starts hard

Dec 25, 2013
Catalina 34 Newport Beach
I regularly see this problem posted in forums. I have this engine and hard starting was a real problem. I was told that problem was that the engine was old. I totally rebuilt the engine putting in new pistons, cylinders, bearing, injectors none of which improved the hard-starting problem. Finally I incorporated 2 glow plugs into the injectors and my engine now starts immediately even in cold weather. Adding the glow plugs is a bit tricky but I have worked out all the details and have all the necessary equipment needed in my machine shop. If your engine is suffering from cold starts and you're interested in fixing it you can call me at 714=305-2135. I don't need the entire engine, only the injector. It is fairly simple to extract and re-install and I can talk you through the details.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Another option is the Yanmar cold start device that is used on outdoor power equipment ..
This device costs $45 and screws into the intake manifold of the QM series engines. There is a big plug in that hole right now on most marine QM's
http://www.hoyetractor.com/thermostart.htm
Some electric and fuel supply work is necessary but that is pretty basic stuff.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
There is also an air heater that bolts between the air cleaner and the intake manifold horn. hooks to a relay which is controlled by the "glow plug" switch.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The simplest solution is normally the best and it seems Yanmar already provides an option for those hard starts.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
If the idea is to KISS, I use a small portable hair dryer I swiped from my wife some years ago. Plug it in, point it toward the air intake, and the engine thinks it's mid- summer and 85-deg. Engine starts instantly.

Nov 6, 2006
Newage, I think Benny is talking about the Yanmar Thermostart .. I have a link in post 2. It would require a "push to heat" switch connected to a fused and switched 12V source, and a little metal fuel container of 6 oz or so capacity.

Jun 3, 2004
'79 Hunter 33' HUN33190M79L Olympia
If you really want the KISS solution, mine started hard when cold until I provided enough battery cold cranking amps to spin the starter at full speed. Now I never have trouble starting within twenty revolutions no matter how cold (low twenties last time).

I have a big starting battery on bank #1 which I combine with the house bank when starting cold. Using the compression release guarantees an easy start every time, but I often don't use it.

Feb 8, 2014
Mystic Mystic 30 Cutter Bellingham
Does the thermostart unit thread directly into the place where the plug is on a 2QM-15?

Nov 6, 2006
Yes. There is a big plug, maybe 38mm or around that number, in the top of the intake manifold. That is where the thermostart goes. Again, a small fuel can and some electric work is needed to get it in safely. The air cleaner, just upstream of the Thermostart, should be complete and functional.

Feb 8, 2014
Mystic Mystic 30 Cutter Bellingham
Thanks for the tip! I also installed a 250 watt Wolverine block heater next to/behind the starter. I removed the starter, cleaned and painted the block, applied the heater as per the instructions and reinstalled the starter (after cleaning and painting it also). It keeps the engine as well as the engine room warm and dry. You never have to cold start when you're at the slip with power. A couple of things: You must use a heater without the internal thermostat because it gets in the way. The heater doesn't get too hot because the engine's mass is too great. I don't know if you should use it without coolant in the engine. My engine is fresh water cooled but I don't think that it would make any difference if it were raw water cooled. There is no "neutral" electrical connection to the engine so there is no electrolysis danger from the AC power system. I have been using this for a couple of months now and am very happy so far.

Oct 20, 2011
Hunter 30 Green Bay
I just got my 12 volt hair dryer, and it boosts the temp at least 5 degree's. $13 shot in the rear.. Ready to try the thermostart, but am at a complete loss as to what to use for the fuel container... Has anyone actually made this modification, and what did you use for the fuel container?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sep 30, 2019
C&C 34 Bellingham
There is also an air heater that bolts between the air cleaner and the intake manifold horn. hooks to a relay which is controlled by the "glow plug" switch.
Very late reply but I did finally install an air intake heater as Bill mentioned above. I had helpful advise from the local yanmar diesel shop foreman and parts gal. It had to be a custom installation but worked out great. So the heater itself is intended for a newer yanmar. The relay was from a Cummins marine engine. I designed and made adaptors for the manifold and filter sides. Electrically I installed a manual push button for the heater pick up like was done on my old tractor at home. I installed a separate "Blueseas" breaker for the circuit. I am a retired electrician with lots of controls experience and a life time sailor who has done much of my own work so it was rather fun to get into this. Also I installed a " Blueseas " voltmeter in the control panel so that I can see how the loads are effecting the batteries, alternator and all. The heater is rated at 37 ramps. Anyway it works great! So if I didn't have the skills to do this I would have been pleased to have it professionally done. If anyone reads this and want specifics I can get them for you. This cost me a few hundred dollars in material and a couple of full days work (maybe more with the r&d)