Yanmar 2GM20 Oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Milan

Yanmar 2GM20 Oil pressure Hello, I need Your advice. I have purchased 1983 S2 9.2C sailboat . It is powered by 2GM20 Yanmar engine. It had oil light and the buzzer and they are working OK. Well, I am a car mechanic by trade, so I like to have as much of information about the engine vital signs. I have install a electronic oil pressure gauge and sending unit. When I start the engine cold the pressure is 40-50 psi. As the engine warms up it goes down. After about of 30 minutes of engine operation and at 2300 RPM cruising it goes down to 3-5 psi. Oil light and buzzer are off and engine sounds good. What should I think of this? Is this normal? I am running a straight 40W Delo oil. I like to get your opinion and advice. Thank You

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Other forums

I suggest you hit some diesel engine specific forums. I have heard good things about the following site. There is a $25/year fee, but I understand it is well worth it. I will likely join myself this year as I just bought a 9.2A with a 2QM15. Torrenson.com also has a diesel forum that is popular. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Bob Boatdiesel.com is a small family owned business based in the Caribbean. Peter Compton, a former aerospace engineer started the site in late 1996 to help promote his "Troubleshooting Marine Diesels" book. With help from wife Penny and daughters Naomi and Kate, the company not only maintains the Boatdiesel.com site, but now manages the Internet business for ZF Marine, Westerbeke and Perkins Sabre. Despite close ties with these companies every effort is made to provide high quality and unbiased information on every aspect of Marine Diesels and Associated Equipment. This year will see major improvements in content, with a Book Store scheduled for the first quarter, followed by a Marine Transmission Database and then a Marine Diesel Generator Database. The Forums and Classifieds remain extremely popular. Much due to the quality of input by you, the readers. But anyone who's used these section will be well aware of the invaluable knowledge and advice shared by Tony Athens of Seaboard Marine in California. Tony somehow finds time to administrator the Cummins and Yanmar Forums.

J

Jim LeBlanc

3-5 PSI sounds too low!

I have a 9.2A with a Yanmar 2GM. I have not looked up the spec oil pressure at normal temperature, but as a Mechanical Engineer, 3-5 psi sounds too low. On most automobile engines (as I am sure you are aware) the oil pressure light comes on at a higher pressure than 6psi. Since a diesel engine has higher loads than a gasoline one (higher peak pressure), I would expect the required oil pressure to be above 45 psi at load. You may have an engine problem and not know it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.