Yanmar 2 GM mystery wires...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 LaSalle, MI
I have a Yanmar 2GM that operates fairly well. Recently, after inspecting the port side of the engine (near the air intake), I noticed a couple of wires hanging that don't seem to go anywhere. I am guessing that they are some kind of add-on option thing. My question is, I would like to install a temperature monitor and wondered if any of these wires may be there for this purpose. Any ideas? My next move is to go to my service manual (which is a bit of a pain to get through), or ask someone at Mackboring (US distributor).

Jun 3, 2004
Mystery Wires

I also have unconnected wires on the port side of my 2GM20F. Several years ago when I added temperature and oil pressure gauges to the engine the Yanmar mechanic who helped me explained what they were for but I don't remember what he said. All I know is they were not for temperature or oil pressure monitors. If you would like to see pictures and instructions as to how I added gauges to my 2GM20F let me know. I can be reached through the Owner Directory.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Temp gauge

Two years ago I added a temp gauge that is mechanical which works on the temperature change alone. The make is Sunpro. They also have mechanical oil pressure gauges. The gauge works great and no electricity to worry about.

B

Bill

Here's a diagram that might help

The attached is from the service manual.

Jun 3, 2004
- - Deale, Md
Mystery wires

Thanks to Bill, who posted the link showing the wiring diagram of the Yanmar engine, I think the "mystery wires" may be (at least partially) solved. I, too, have those mystery wires and thought they be for connecting temp/oil guages, which I don't have (but would like to have). In the diagram on the link provided, it shows two wires marked "not used" with the annotation "except 1GM." Since Tim, the original poster, and I, and probably others, have the 2GM20F engine, I suppose these unused wires have no intened use on this engine.... at least I hope so!

Status
Not open for further replies.