Yamaha 30- A "dry" boat??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YnotY30?

Hi all, I am considering a Yamaha 30 as a fast family cruiser in the pacific Northwest and San Juan islands. I am curious what Yamaha owners think of the Y30 as a choice for this type of use? Need the boat to stay dry inside, as I have been on many old IOR racers that leak as they flex..(and new boats, too). Appreciate all responses.. Adam

Aug 3, 2005
- - Seattle
Dry indeed!

I bought a (1980) Y-30 in 1985, took it to Glacier Bay in '86, and finally sold it in 2002 because I bought a Y-37. I had no trouble with it being a wet boat--in fact, I never had to remove any mold in the boat. I think part of this happy circumstance is that the engine draws air from inside the cabin through the length of the boat, thus drying it out. I noticed that effect during the trip up to Alaska, which was quite damp until we got to Ketchikan. I liked the boat, and judging from the ads I see, it has actually increased in value since I sold mine. Incidentally, I could use a copy of the Manual for the 30 to make available on the website. If you buy this boat, maybe we could get together on that. Regards, Bob

D

Dennis

Dry Yamaha 30

My wife and I have cruised "Samurai" in the Pacific Northwest for over twenty years. We've had trouble with windows leaking and have replaced and rebedded one side so far. To keep the boat dry while tied up, we had a fitted cover made for the coachhouse roof and over the windows to the deck. In other words, no problem if you stay on top of the window seals. We heat with diesel and cook with propane when we're aboard. Tied up in the winter we heat with a single 100 watt heat lamp. We've taken "Samurai" to Prince Rupert and back as well as around Vancouver Island. I've never detected any flex in this vessel and never doubted its integrity.

D

dsfnctn

Y-30 ,dry boat

Y-30 is a very dry boat. I have owned a Yamaha sailboat since 1977 that is why I know. By the way my Y-30 is for sale. Bob. You can borrow my owners manual for copy. Colin Taylor 206.612.0444

Aug 3, 2005
- - Seattle
Windows on the 30

Dennis makes a good point about the windows. I replaced mine on the 37, and was told by the dealer that plastic windows (acrylic or polycarbonate) should last about ten years, so I don't feel bad about having to replace them at twenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.