Yamaha 25 Review in Good Old Boat magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George

Good Old Boat magazine did a review of my 1977 Yamaha 25 in the upcoming May/June edition. I wrote a side bar on the history of Yamaha sailboats. Like to know your opinion of the article. This is the first review of a Yamaha sailboat I have seen in a looooong time!!! Maybe it will get the word out about these great sailboats. Note to Bob: There is a mistake in the article, as it says I maintain the Yamaha website, and we all know you originated and maintain the website. Will see if I can get that corrected. Take care George

May 24, 2004
Ericson E-23 Smith Mt. Lake
Don't have one...

I sail another brand (Ericson), but very much enjoyed the article. That is a beautiful boat, and I am intrigued by several features and impressed by the description of quality and engineering philosophy. Those IOR inspired designs take their lumps from some commentators, but some of those boats move me in a way more "modern" designs don't. Do you find the tumblehome is ever a problem docking or rafting up? I have yet to see a Yamaha sailboat in person but will definitely do some research now (I HAVE owned three of their motorcycles, does that count?) Looks like you do indeed have a well-planned "Escape".

W

Warren Milberg

I just read the review

... of your boat in GOB and think your boat is great looking. I would like to hear your views about how well she sails on all points of sail. I also find it interesting to see a 25 footer with an inboard -- and particularly one with the engine under the forepeak. Was there a good reason for locating the engine so far forward? What is under the companionway/cockpit? Normally, it would seem you do not want to put much weight up by the bow as that may impact sail trim. Does the drive shaft run under the cabin sole and if so, how well does that work out? Again, really liked the article and think you have a great boat!

P

PML

Very nice review

George, Using the boat as a family cruiser, how do you find the sailing characteristics? Does the rudder hang on and function ok when heeled over pretty good. Some rudder designs loose their bite when over on the side and I was wondering how the y25 handle this condition. Very nice boat you have. PML

Oct 23, 2005
- - Osaka, Japan
motor forward

Warren, There is a huge space under the cockpit with berths on either sides. The engine is midships with a rather long drive shaft.

Oct 23, 2005
- - Osaka, Japan
additional answers/opinions

Warren, I should read more carefully... I'm not sure but I think this was the first 25 that Yamaha made. There were 21s and 24s and there is at least one other 25 called a 'My Lady'. This model has the engine aft and a wider, flater deck. The deck on my Mark II is a problem for me as it is uneven. I think the engine amidships puts more weight on the bow and causes it to dive into oncoming waves. So the deck is designed to let the water slide off the boat before it gets to the cockpit. In order to lighten the bow as much as possible, the anchor locker on the bow is empty and I put weight into the rear. Another problem is that the spreader will devour anything more than a 120% headsail. That long drive shaft can cause problems if it bends, of course, and I hear it is common, but I've had not problems The rudder is no problem going forward. Mine is wicked in reverse. But then I think the bearing are a little sloppy. Turning in reverse requires two hands on the tiller. There is a point where the water will force that tiller out of your hands and, under the correct conditions, pop the lense off your stern light. I lost 2 stern lights before I learned. The article is a very good picture of the boat. herein osaka they are the entry level boat for most sailors. Even at that, there are not that many around. I fell for the inboard and the original stackpack this boat had. Bought it a year ago December and towed it back to my marina - frozen engine. Rebuilt the engine and put a new paint job on her. It took the better part of a year to make her 'my boat': rewired depth guage, solar panels, dual electric systems, new cushions... However, whatever I did, it would not increase the headroom under the mast bridge - a real headache maker. Bill

W

Warren Milberg

For buflobrain...

that is one of the best slide shows of a boat I've seen! Thanks for posting. BTW, I'm not sure what the reason was that Yamaha decided to put the engine any place other than under the cockpit. Any thoughts on that?

Oct 23, 2005
- - Osaka, Japan
Thanks, Warren

I'll ask around. I think it is an early design and Yamaha may have had the idea that ballast needed to be centered. Another advantage is that the engine is easy to access and work on. (Somewhere I have photos of them pulling the engine - the boat is in the water about ten feet below ground level and a crane lifts the engine out with guidance from mechanics.)

Oct 23, 2005
- - Osaka, Japan
pulling the engine

I found the photos documenting the engine removal. It wasn't 10 feet below the dock... follow this trail: Go to: http://www.2nd-class-juku.info/ Click on the 'Boat Test' button inside the diamond Click onpulling the engine

Aug 3, 2005
- - Seattle
Your 25

Greetings, What a great looking boat! I liked the article, and wonder: how was the decision made to review your 25? Regards, Bob

L

lyn

what! no clutter!

Hey George, Great article, thanks for letting all us other Y25 owners know what our boat SHOULD look like. after 30 years of owners it's always nice to see a boat that has been left true to it's designers.I can see why your boat was selected for a review-Thanks again for flying the banner!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.