Yamaha 25 II propeller shaft replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2007
- - earth
I am looking for information on replacing a propeller shaft and cutlass bearing in a 1977 Yamaha 25 II. Has anyone been through this experience? It is a 22mm diameter bronze shaft with a taper of 10:1 and has a stainless collar(for what purpose) about 10" forward of the stuffing box.. I have not pulled the shaft yet. Does any one know the exact length of the shaft? The keyway and prop nut threads are toast! Any good sources for metric shafts in the US? Thanks

L

Lyn

Convert to american standard

Mine was replaced with a S.S.7/8th inch dia shaft by the previous owner. Made servicing very easy as zincs and such are much easier to find. The origional prop was remachined and cut for the key way. I recently replaced the prop.the prop shop appreciated the U.S. friendly deminsions. Don't have a clue as to the length. hope this helps Lyn

A

Andrew Jasienski

shaft replacement

Hello Lynn, That's me Andy. I hopeyou recognized the problem.My biggest chore now is tofigure out how to slide off that SS Sleeve. I am leaving on 9/10 and be back on 9/19/07. Have great vacation. Andy

M

Mark Sperling

Any 25 II Owners out there?

I noticed MKII owners have not been involved too much anymore in this forum. I'm hoping some of you will drop a note. I'm a new owner of '78 and am always looing for more insight and advice. For instance on the Stainless Steel Shaft replacement, what is the overall length? Anyone fit a holding tank to this boat?

M

Mark Sperling

Any 25 II Owners out there?

I noticed MKII owners have not been involved too much anymore in this forum. I'm hoping some of you will drop a note. I'm a new owner of '78 and am always looing for more insight and advice. For instance on the Stainless Steel Shaft replacement, what is the overall length? Anyone fit a holding tank to this boat?

Aug 3, 2005
- - Seattle
Prop shafts

Greetings, I replaced the shaft on my 30, and also another boat. On the 30, I put a 7/8 shaft on it with no problems. In Seattle, we have at least one machine shop that specializes in prop shafts, and they know all about the tapers, threads and things, and provide the appropriate fasteners. Quick, too. I think I got a shaft from them in less than a work week. Regards, Bob

Aug 3, 2005
- - Seattle
Prop shafts

Greetings, I replaced the shaft on my 30, and also another boat. On the 30, I put a 7/8 shaft on it with no problems. In Seattle, we have at least one machine shop that specializes in prop shafts, and they know all about the tapers, threads and things, and provide the appropriate fasteners. Quick, too. I think I got a shaft from them in less than a work week. Regards, Bob

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
Welcome aboard Mark! Y25

Were still here just not typing.We've covered a lot of ground this past year, I suggest you browse past threads. Good Old Boat magazine did an article on the Y25 earlier in 2007.Check out Bob's web sight YAMAHAsailboats.org.He has done us all a great service as a yamaha owners resourse. Probably the best info available is getting a copy of the Y25II OWNERS MANUAL. you can get a copy through either Bob or myself. The prop shaft seems to be the mystery piece on our boats. It has a few pieces that raise more questions than answer. my sistership here in long beach will be doing the deed as soon as he can save enough clams to pay off the local boatyard for haulout/storage.I'm sure I'll be giving him a hand and will make a point of documenting it well -it probably wont happen soon,don't hold your breath.PNW seems to be the center for Yamaha sailing,your in good company. My boat was converted to a full head and I use a bladder located in the port forward storage. I can get you more specifics if you need them.I'm looking for a dodger to fit the Y25. saw a photo of one in SF but the owner hasn't visited the forum. Happy sailing Lyn/Syntonos

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
Welcome aboard Mark! Y25

Were still here just not typing.We've covered a lot of ground this past year, I suggest you browse past threads. Good Old Boat magazine did an article on the Y25 earlier in 2007.Check out Bob's web sight YAMAHAsailboats.org.He has done us all a great service as a yamaha owners resourse. Probably the best info available is getting a copy of the Y25II OWNERS MANUAL. you can get a copy through either Bob or myself. The prop shaft seems to be the mystery piece on our boats. It has a few pieces that raise more questions than answer. my sistership here in long beach will be doing the deed as soon as he can save enough clams to pay off the local boatyard for haulout/storage.I'm sure I'll be giving him a hand and will make a point of documenting it well -it probably wont happen soon,don't hold your breath.PNW seems to be the center for Yamaha sailing,your in good company. My boat was converted to a full head and I use a bladder located in the port forward storage. I can get you more specifics if you need them.I'm looking for a dodger to fit the Y25. saw a photo of one in SF but the owner hasn't visited the forum. Happy sailing Lyn/Syntonos

G

George Zimmerman

Y25 prop shaft

I hit a log a few years ago and bent my prop shaft. (2nd time in 13 years). Since it was an insurance job, I had the boat yard do the work. They had a new shaft made, and it was no problem. Use a 7/8 in shaft, which is a slightly tighter fit in the shaft log. This is a good time to add a dripless packing gland. Makes for a cleaner and neater bilge, and do not have to worry about redoing the packing gland every few years.

G

George Zimmerman

Y25 prop shaft

I hit a log a few years ago and bent my prop shaft. (2nd time in 13 years). Since it was an insurance job, I had the boat yard do the work. They had a new shaft made, and it was no problem. Use a 7/8 in shaft, which is a slightly tighter fit in the shaft log. This is a good time to add a dripless packing gland. Makes for a cleaner and neater bilge, and do not have to worry about redoing the packing gland every few years.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
22 mm is .8668 inches. 7/8 is .875 you would

need a new cutlass bearing and the taper for the prop would have to match whatever prop you use. I see no problem.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
22 mm is .8668 inches. 7/8 is .875 you would

need a new cutlass bearing and the taper for the prop would have to match whatever prop you use. I see no problem.

M

Mark Sperling

Thank you all!

I am sorry it took me so long to respond to all of you and for the great responses you gave regarding my inquiries... I was pleased to see how many Yamaha MKII owners are still active here. Gives you a bit of comfort. Lyn, I get down that way fairly often... any chance I can see your boat and how you did your holding bladder install some day? Sure love this boat... I have been doing quite a few NW winter weekends on Puget Sound. Hope you are all getting out too.

L

Lyn

stop on by!

Sure thing Mark, drop me a note at bigbearsailing@yahoo.com when your in town next. We can go out for a sail if you like, Day or Night.

A

Andy

Yamaha 25 II propeller shaft

Would be very obliged for info specifying OD of prop shaft cutless bearing mounted in the strut. I am considering replacing worn Cutless bearing and dont want to gues buying . Also I still cannot figure out purpose of Stainless steel sleeve mounted on the shaft down shaft coupling. There was originally a rubber hose with plastic disk(beaing like) to ride on that S.S. sleeve, but now is gone. My guess is that it was to protect hose in bildge from getting shaved by rotating shaft. I am now using nylon strap to keep hose away from moving shaft. Also info on type and dimensions of prop shaft coupling( to tranny) would be helpfull. Thanx in advance Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.