worthy of it's own thread--

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Now days if I need accurate information I go to the FB page or the C22 association directly and the Tech manual first. I generally only use this forum for basic knowledge and take it all with a grain of salt. I learned more in 1 week with the racers at nationals about my C22 then i did in over a year here on the forums. However who knows perhaps in the coming years it will change again. Change is the only constant in life.

Hope you don't mind @LakeShark I thought your comment was worthy of it's own thread.

I keep an eye on the FB group as well- post infrequently there. I actually prefer this forum for it's technical acumen. That's not to say that I agree with every concept I see, and I assume the same of those reading me-- I did it this way, these are my results, I am happy to share all I have and ultimately everyone of us has to decide for ourselves how to proceed.

I too use all the tools you noted above and agree everyone should-- but I also want to commend this forum for being invaluable to me and my enjoyment of the sport I love.

I will say that the FB group has a tendency (my opinion) to be a bit more social focused (seems reasonable considering the source) and on occasion the mechanical solutions a bit more non standard-- but again, it takes multiple sources of intel to form a well rounded opinion.

SBO (at least our C22 version of it) has been horribly appropriate -- the typical forum flaming is all but absent, folks are willing to offer up solid, well founded experience and solutions without judgement.

And at the end of the sailing day what you get back is directly proportional to what you put in..... this has been a good place to expend my energy.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I agree with you on these points and this forum has been very helpful to me as well. I have learned a lot from the racing and trailer sailor forums as well. My comment was more in line with what Don was facing a few years back. Some of the C22 threads remain pure but some still drift wildly. However that’s the beauty of forums. Different formats work for different people. I would ask that if this thread drifts into a bashing of SBO or C22 sailors that you would remove it. I was not looking to start an argument just point out the facts of what happened.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
totally on point and agree with you-- I miss having Don's opinions around and as you mentioned change is inevitable-- folks will come and go. Appreciate your insight and indeed-- it's up to those who use the resource to keep it aligned.... there will be no bashing here :)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Interesting and intriguing thread. In the interest of transparency, I'm an old geezer who bought his first boat, you guessed it, a Catalina 22, 1981, #10496, in 1983. Back then, other than the manual which the PO was kind enough to save for us, and Pat Royce's remarkable little book, Sailing Illustrated, there was zip, zilch, nada information "out there."

What's intriguing about this thread is that it shows just how times have changed and how much more knowledge is available and in so many different formats/forums.

Certainly nothing to complain about. It's a good thing. :)

Apr 22, 2016
Catalina 22 Folsom Lake
I have always found forums the best source of Repair information. Seems members are interested in helping and sharing their experience and expertise. I’m very appreciative!

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
I've only had good experiences here. I haven't posted much lately because I haven't sailed in 1.5 years. This year for sure....

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
The searchability of this forum is gold, when I started the refit I poured over ancient manuscripts here speaking of arcane knowledge of keel pins, volcanoes, the scourge of gelcoat blisters. FB is better for community, but I wouldn't use it as a main source of knowledge.

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
I joined this group nine years ago, when I first purchased my Catalina and have benefitted very significantly from the considerable knowledge of each of its participants.
As stated previously, I was particularly disappointed when Don stopped contributing and was hoping that he would return, if only to catch up with his many friends on this forum.
However, I have recently taken a renewed interest in this forum and return on a daily basis to check out the latest tips and suggestions. I appreciate the commitment and enthusiasm of many of the “old timers“ and the newer members and in particular the participation of former Catalina 22 owners such as Stu Jackson who continue to share their knowledge and experience of this great little boat.