Worth a shot--

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Getting her ready for a road trip-- trying to check out all the new pieces and make sure they work: I manage to break both my gudgeon bushings before the boat comes anywhere near water -- classic. Actually had the mast crutch pop up out of the gudgeon and come back just on the edge of the bushing and they both exploded-- quite brittle it turns out.

So I shotgun an order and expedite shipping from both mcmaster carr and CD-- and interestingly the HDPE version from mcmaster just might work? No loss either way, and now at I have a spare something in a pinch-- but I may give the much less brittle version a chance and see it it's an option:

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Getting her ready for a road trip-- trying to check out all the new pieces and make sure they work: I manage to break both my gudgeon bushings before the boat comes anywhere near water -- classic. Actually had the mast crutch pop up out of the gudgeon and come back just on the edge of the bushing and they both exploded-- quite brittle it turns out.

So I shotgun an order and expedite shipping from both mcmaster carr and CD-- and interestingly the HDPE version from mcmaster just might work? No loss either way, and now at I have a spare something in a pinch-- but I may give the much less brittle version a chance and see it it's an option:

View attachment 184026

View attachment 184027
Interesting that there is a bushing. Wouldn’t a metal to metal connection be better?

I also wonder why they chose HDPE vs Delrin as I think Delrin is a more “durable” material.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Mine has no bushings, is that a problem? Seems like the rudder fit would not allow bushings as it is pretty snug as is.

Maybe just a different design ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
<86 is metal on metal and only 3/8" and what I have on our '84.
Many upgrade to more robust gudgeons & pintals, 1/2" (recommended) which comes with bushing, on my to-do list...

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
The standard 3/8 gudgeons are without bushing-- the beefier 1/2" set from CD bring the bushing into the picture. @Gene Neill interesting I did not spend too too much time hunting -- that is a much better fit. My HDPE does indeed fit-- but a bit loose / not so captive for the OD. I'm keeping those as the emergency spares in the rigging kit.

May 31, 2022
Catalina 22 Sandusky Sailing Club

View attachment 184026

View attachment 184027
Where did you get the HDPE white one. I need a bushing to fit a 3/8 pintle. Cd is on back order for 8-12 weeks.I have 1/2 gudgeons currently and rudder with 1/2 pintle is cracked.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I also wonder why they chose HDPE vs Delrin as I think Delrin is a more “durable” material.
I'm sure the HDPE one is cheaper. Not only is Delrin more expensive material, but it also looks like the HDPE one is injection molded whereas the Delrin one is clearly machined. So there's probably a ten to one difference in cost. (Though not necessarily price. Welcome to the retail world!)