Wiring problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grover

I am in the process of updating and replacing as necessary the electronics and lighting on the AQUA AVIS II. The wiring is a mess and I have a concern about how to complete the project. Does anyone have a C-22 wiring diagram or a general diagram for sailboats. I have a concern about lightning strikes and how the battery and other electronics are placed in the circuit. The original fuse bank is in good shape, but the wiring and connections are pretty bad. Any help would be appreciated. We are planning our first trip from Riverside to the Keys as soon as the wiring and lights are fixed. Grover

R

Ralph, Chrysler22 - Sheepshead Bay NY

I can give this one a shot...

In every one of the Chryslers I have ever seen, there seems to be no "standard" wiring in any of them. Over the years, owners "custom-wire" as required which usually means..."shove it through wherever it can fit and connect it on both sides". I know this is not what you want to hear, but it seems to be the norm. My boat is wired from the batteries to the battery 1 & 2 switch that I mounted on a panel board attached to the port side shelf trim where it meets the cockpit bulkhead shelf. From there, anything going forward is fed down to the cavity on the port side and after emerging, is hidden as well as possible to each fixture or devise. The bow light wiring simply continues inside the port cavity and emerges up through the bow cavity. Starboard side wiring feeds back and under the cockpit floor to the fixtures on that side. Stern wiring is simply strung back along side the batteries. I simplified my wiring just this last year, making sure I used the proper gage and fused everything. God bless wire-ties. I managed to bundle alot of the wiring but first making sure I labeled everything. As far as lightning is concerned, my wiring is not grounded to the keel or any other metal that contacts the water. I am not concerned with lightning strikes. I hope this helped at least a little. Good luck and happy sailing.

flyhop

Aug 8, 2005
Oday 28 Guntersville AL
Grover...get this book

Sailboat Electrics Simplified by Don Casey. I found a copy of half.com for about $5 this past year. Really helped me on C22. IMHO, I don't believe in "standard" wiring schematic. Make it your own to suite your needs. And be sure to get a good deep cycle battery and charger to keep it all going.

Status
Not open for further replies.