Wire layout inside a 34 mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2005
Hunter 34 chicago
Hello, Does anyone know if there is a sleeve that the mast wires are in and on which side of the mast is it on? I want to add some cleats to the mast but do not want to drill into my masthead wires. Thanks

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 34 Forked River, NJ
Mast wires

go into a plastic tube from mast head to the bottom. Just behind the sail track. ( at least that is where mine are on our 1984 H34.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
On my 86

the wires run in the extrusion just in front of the mainsail track. No plastic tube.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Where do they connect

to the wires inside the boat. I'm going to take my mast off this fall to have the wooden compression post replaced and would like to know that before having it done. Thanks George

K

Karl

Mast Wires

Once you remove the mas you can see the wire tube inside.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
George

This is a real sore spot with me. Hunter did this work 'on the cheap'. The wires came to the bottom of the mast and were just cut off! The corresponding wire out of the mast step were the same way. Cut off. Our dealer hooked them up with butt connectors. No silicone or any other protectant. Grrrr. During our rebuild I installed an inspection port and proper plugs lathered up with silicone grease. On my web site see photo's #88 & #100 among others for a look at the inspection port. Photos #27 & #28 have some suggestions for compression post repair. Hope they help.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Hi Fred

Your website is a godsend. I book marked it as a favorite and will eventually print it all out and put it in a binder. You really did a fantastic job re-building. Thanks for your help. George

Mar 1, 2005
Hunter 34 North East, MD
Ditto

George isn't the only one that references your web site, Fred! You've done a masterful job of documenting many things the rest of us hope we never have to deal with. Your shots of the stripped interior were copied immediately into my reference files, as were a number of other ones you posted. Intrepid '83 H34 #113

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Dan, THANK YOU too.

But I gain too. Sharing this stuff is so much better for my psyche than keeping it inside. Thanks again Dan. :) P.S. I was getting some more dust out of my hard-drive the other day and found some more interior construction shots I could forward via email if they help.

Mar 1, 2005
Hunter 34 North East, MD
No need...

to send the additional construction shots, Fred. I don't plan to do any extensive tear-ups like you had to do! It's just good to know what's under the parts you can't readily access. You have plenty of reference shots on your site if I didn't copy what I need. I found an LCD color tv camera for $40 that's the size of a golf ball. I put it on the end of a stick and poke it into those dark corners, looking at what it can see (with its own infrared lighting) in the places where I can get a flashlight but not my head. Hooks right to a tv video in jack.

V

Vinny

Camera

Dan, Where did you get the canera? It sounds like a useful tool.

Mar 1, 2005
Hunter 34 North East, MD
Camera source

Vinnie, we have a club chain in Pa called BJ's. They have had it in and out of stock the past year. I found it among the home office gear--it was intended to be placed at a front door.

Mar 1, 2005
Hunter 34 North East, MD
Camera source

Vinnie (I'm hoping this isn't a duplicate of a message I didn't see get posted), we have a club chain in PA called BJ's Wholesale. The camera has been in and out of stock there this past year. I found it in the Home Office section--I think it was intended to be mounted at a house entrance. It has its own plug-in power supply and 60 feet of cord on the camera. I'm working on a mast track slide to use it to check out the mast, among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.