WINTERIZE YANMAR 1GM10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2008
Alerion Express 28 Oneida Lake, NY
Before someone starts scolding me, I’ve checked the Yanmar Owner’s Manual, the archives here, Torresen Marine, Yanmar, Mack Boring and have googled every which way from Sunday - - - I’m still very confused!!! I have a 2001 Yanmar 1GM10 which needs to be winterized. It’s equipped with a Vetus 330 water strainer. The boat’s already on the hard. I’m mechanically impaired (read super klutz) Can I just open the strainer, pour in the antifreeze and start the engine until antifreeze comes out the exhaust or the strainer empties, whichever comes first? I presume I’d have to leave the cover off the strainer whilst doing this. Would I get the same results by turning the engine with the hand crank, or would that take too long? I’ve read a lot about the thermostat, which doesn’t make sense to me. Under normal circumstances during the season, as soon as the engine starts, there’s water bubbling into the strainer and coming out the exhaust pipe. If water goes through immediately, why shouldn’t the antifreeze? Thanks, Paul s/v Pretty Lady

N

nick maggio

Pour it in

I have done it that way but I use a full or more gallon of antifreeze until it comes out the exhaust

May 11, 2005
- - Belmont - Chicago
engine and anti-freeze

ENGINE ====== STRAINER ====== THRU-HULL ^ ^ | | outlet inlet side side hoses are represented by ========= The way I do this is as follows: -remove the hose from the OUTLET side of the water strainer. -I have 3' length of hose which I stick into a gallon of -100 antifreeze -I connect the end of the 3' hose to the end of the host that I removed from the strainer (I have a female-female connector to allow the two hoses to connect) -RUN THE ENGINE until anti-freeze is pumped through (you can simply watch the gallon of anti-freeze and when it is nearly gone kill the motor). YES, this will spit anti-freeze all over the ground from your cooling water exhaust. -Open the strainer and dry out any remaining water. -On my boat, the hose from the water intake to the strainer is almost completely verticle so there is no risk of water being in there. If your has ANY horizontal runs, make sure that the thru-hull water intake is open, then remove the hose from the inlet side of the strainer and pour some antifreeze down that hose (it will come out your hull). -RECONNECT YOUR HOSES ONCE DONE - but make it a part of your dry land pre-launch check to verify hoses are attached and that thru-hull is open. Then once in the water check for leaks at hose connections.

S

Steve O.

Why pour it in?

It's easier and safer to pull the intake hose and stick it in a bucket. On my 2GM20F I could not pour fast enough to keep up with the suction, and I'm sure I would end up spilling it all over the bilge. I don't understand what is so hard about pulling the intake hose method?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I'm a fresh water cooled guy so ping me but

since the boat is on the hard why are you putting antifeeze in the engine? If you where in the water and could not "dry out the cooling system" then I'd understand but can't you just open the engine block drain and let the water out? On my fresh water cooled boat I just drain the raw water system and that is that. Why could you not also just drain the system of water and let it dry out?

Status
Not open for further replies.