Winterize a Universal M25XP

Jac123

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Forked River
I'm gathering winterizing products for a new to me 1989 Catalina 30. Saw an add for engine descaler. Advertisement claims it removes deposits and helps engines run cooler. Has anyone used this product? Any information is appreciated.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
If it ain't broke. There's also salt away. If your engine isn't overheating leave it. Most small diesel carbon up the exhaust and can't pump water out causing overheat and loss power

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
If you have a raw water cooled engine it might be useful. This is the type of engine where the sea water is pumped directly through the engine block to cool the engine. If you engine is fresh water cooled where you use an antifreeze mix in the engine then the engine is operating just like a car engine and you just need to change your antifreeze at the engine manufacturers recommended interval. Since you didn't provide info on what engine is installed we can't really answer your question.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Since you didn't provide info on what engine is installed we can't really answer your question.
Per the subject it looks like a Universal M25XP. As far as I can tell that’s fresh water cooled, so probably not the best use for a descaler as you say. It might help clean out the heat exchanger if there are any deposits there, but if there are no existing overheating issues I probably wouldn’t bother.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Oh yeah it was right in front of me and I missed it. I agree don't waste your money.