winter tides

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steven f

Well, here we are again in the middle of winter. The tides down here in Charlotte Harbor Fl. are TERRIBLE!!! My boat has been stuck in the mud for the majority of the last month and this AM another front came through along with the beginnings of this months spring tides. The wind is howling out of the NE at 25 knots and gusting. Nobody around here has ever seen the waters soo shallow, canals that are normally 7' deep can be crossed by my dogs (they dont swim), sail boats lie on their sides all over. I'm only glad I have a very solid dock with new dock lines to keep her from rolling over (as opposed to listing hard towards the center of the canal). The moral of my story is this; keep your dock lines in good shape, they are the cheapest way to insure your boat, even when it's not a hurricane that's bearing down on you. The winter tides down here in SW fla are just as hard if you're not tied up well.

C

Colin Campbell

Thats ruff!

You can't do too much about the weather unfortunately, I speak from experience as my dock is under about 60" of ice at this time!

D

david

cable from brittania

ever checked out what tides are like around britain! gunwhale legs are very much the order of the day - especially if you do not have a double keel. part of our national sailing heritage is with the saying " 'tink mud". great to 'ave found your site, will put in as much input as possible perhaps under the heading. 'cable from brittania'. david - r.y.a.

Status
Not open for further replies.