• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Winter Rains Catching Up

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This is a picture of the Mississippi River at Baton Rouge, LA.
And it is the HIGH Ground!!!
MissRiverBatonRouge.jpeg

They have opened flood control spillways before and after New Orleans.
This cold water will affect the Gulf of Mexico this season.
This is the most River water seen since the great flood of 1927.

Having effects on the Red River and Arkansas River
Jim...

PS: A definite "NO WAKE" zone.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Being from New Orleans and visit frequently, I have never seen the river that high before.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Today, The Miss River at Baton Rouge is about 2 feet below what it was in 2011.. small drop noted .. They may not open the Morganza Spillway as they did in 2011.. THey were planning to start Sunday, but the small drop is causing a re-think..
http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/stationinfo2.cfm?sid=01160&fid=BTRL1&dt=S&pcode=TA
The real problem we have after an event like this is the fresh water pushes out the salt water from the Miss River location, east a bit.. and brings in a lot of mug and debris.. then as the summer wears on and the water temperature rises, that gunk decays and kills a bunch of fish.. Usually just before the fish kill, there is a giant algae bloom.. I have seen the algae filaments so thick that with sails down, the boat remained almost stationary.. That is the stuff I think about when they make the discharge laws that address the minute quantities from boats..

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I remember those fresh water “infusions” into Lake P and the damage to fishing. Takes a couple of years to recover.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The Missouri River flooding was caused by the freeze-thaw this winter. Water froze in ground not letting it run off. Then new rain thawed it and both began to flow.
The plan was to barely open the Morganza Spillway, giving time for the fauna to escape.
Morganza_Floodway_opened_in_Louisiana_seen_from_Air.jpg

This was the opening in 2011.

There was Zero Government Help prior to "The Great Flood of 1927"
Here is the scenario and what the Army Corps hopes to avoid. The Morganza is kind of the "last resort"
1280px-NO_District_Inundation_Spring_May_2011.jpg

The Bonnet Carre Spillway has been open for a while now. Passing through @kloudie1 area and @BigEasy area on to my Area called the "Mississippi Sound"

The cooling of the Gulf helps reduce any Storms intensity for this Now starting 2019 Hurricane Season.
So there is some good news, with the bad.
Jim...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The Bonnet Carre Spillway has been open for a while now. Passing through @kloudie1 area and @BigEasy area on to my Area called the "Mississippi Sound"

The cooling of the Gulf helps reduce any Storms intensity for this Now starting 2019 Hurricane Season.
So there is some good news, with the bad.
Jim...
Hopefully, a weak El Ninio will persist and help to keep stronger storms out to the Gulf. Need all the help we can get!
The flooding in the Mid West & North are the worst that I remember in recent history. Hope the rains stop so all the excess water subsides.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Lake Minnetonka is above the level where wake restrictions kick in. It’ll probably stay that way for a couple of weeks. They’re controlling it but just barely. All five of the great lakes are at record levels for this month. Lake Superior is up 5 inches this month, that doesn’t seem so significant until you realize that it’s 3,000,000,000,000 gallons of water.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
The problem isn’t the rain. I’ll try to explain. Take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it 3/4 full with sand. Now try filling it with water. How much would it take before it overflows the sides.

Lakes, rivers, and streams were all clean and deep before the soil was turned for supporting the people that live along the banks.