Winter Maintenance for Ballast Tank and Water Valve/Seal hardware

Nov 7, 2019
Macgregor 26S Salvage, NL, outport NL
I am a new 26S owner based in NL. I have pulled my 26S and am storing on the trailer for winter. The ballast tank was filled with salt water all summer and moored along a wharf. I am wondering if the ballast tank and water seal valve requires any seasonal maintenance? Had no issues this year and if some maintenance is a good idea I would like to keep the tank and valve working optimally for next year.
Thanks for any replies.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I used to keep pool chlorine in my tank while it was slipped. Never worried about the valve seal.
I did keep a spare siphon hole plug on board. Make sure there's a cotter ring on the valve handle so you don't accidentally unscrew it from the threaded rod and lose it.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I know that vegetable oil is recommended to keep o-rings and seals playable on marine heads.... I guess it would not hurt to rub a rag dampened with vegetable oil over the seal. Might not help either.... just saying

Aug 2, 2014
MacGregor 26C Stuart FL
We've pulled ours apart occasionastateo lube it with petroleum jelly. If the boat is stored in salt water keep an eye out for porosity corrosion. Especially at the seam around the bottom plate.
Ours had been seasonally stored at a dock in the Fl keys. The first time I tried to test the ballast tank on the trailer the bottom plate snapped off.
Happily it was on the trailer and a new assembly was available from Blue Water Yachts.

Oh and what is this winter thing everyone keeps talking about?
:):);):biggrin:
Best Regards,
(from the sunshine state)

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Oh and what is this winter thing everyone keeps talking about?
:):);):biggrin:
Best Regards,
(from the sunshine state)
Just completed winterization here today - added air to the cold fenders. Took less time than changing the clocks to standard time.