Winter Layup

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Tobin

I just shattered my collar bone two weeks ago, and all of this spare time I've had sitting around has me thinking about laying up for the winter, which is fast approaching here in the northeast. We just purchased the boat earlier this season, so this is our fisrt hauling out and layup. I used to help my with my grandfather's O'Day 25 when I was a teen ager, but that was a long time ago. My biggest concerns are where my 27 is different from the 25. 1. The inboard motor. It's an Atomic 4, and I have a copy of Moyer's manual which is pretty clear on the process of winterizing, but any additional tips would be great. Also, is there anything I should do with the stuffing box? Will enough water be retained there to cause damage from freezing? 2. Mast/standing rigging. The mast on our 25 was hinged and we just man-handled it. I'll need to use the pole with my 27, which will be a first. I also have roller furling and want to make sure that I don't damage the RF tube. 3. Any other areas water might get trapped. I assume the bilge will need a dose of anti-freeze, but what else? Thanks!

J

Jim

Anti-Freezing...

You probably have this in hand already, but you probably need to get some anti-freeze into whatever fresh water system you have on board and also into the head and its plumbing and holding tank. Emptying your fresh water tank and getting a gallon or so of pink anti-freeze into it and pumped through to all faucets 'til the output of the faucets is pink should do the trick for the fresh water system and its pump(s). As for the head, once its been emptied, a gallon or so of anti-freeze pumped through the bowl will do the trick there too. You should also close the through-hull intake to the bowl and pump what's left in that piece of plumbing into the bowl before adding the antifreeze.... Finally, a bit of anti-freeze into the holding tank pump-out fitting on your deck would ensure no freezable material is lingering in the bottom or bends in that hose and its connections. Good Luck, Jim

K

Ken Roddenberry

Stepping your mast?

Just wanted to know if you found out about stepping your mast outside this forum? (see my article on 272) Also would like to know if your step design is like mine. Thanks, Ken

D

Dan Tobin

Ken - Mast

Ken, I used the gin pole at our club to un-step the mast, with the help of three of my mates. We could have done it with two, but three is ideal (and the fourth person wasn't really necessary). We just tied on a sliding rope harness to the mast, hooked the gin pole cable through the harness and raised until barely tight. With one man at the mast, the others undid all of the stays and the roller furler. Once these were free, we raised the mast off of the step and then let it down on wooden frames lashed to the pulpits. The third man always stayed with the roller furler to make sure we didn't bend it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.