Window tear out, repair and installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2010
Lancer 28 ATX
Please Help,

I am about to install my windows after cleaning them up a bit but I am needing to glue or bondo some of the outer frames of the window seals. If you look at the pictures the first one is needs a total repair where joining the ends together is needed. The second picture is of a touch up repair where minimal repair is needed.

I couldn't 100% tell what these were made out of when sanding them but my guess is wood? so would any heavy duty wood glue do or do I need more of a stronger material-Marine Tex, Bondo?

Any help is greatly appreciated. The fact that I was able to tear out these frames, sand and prep in one day was a task. Now I want to make sure I fix these as best as possible because I plan on painting these.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2010
Lancer 28 ATX
Do I need to add butyl tape or caulk to the screws? Can I use the same size or do I need to update the holes?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If you can keep the material very local to the actual repair, I might suggest 3M 5200. When I say localized, I mean just on the parts to be repaired. 5200 is a very strong adhesive and I believe is used to bond decks. It is very tough to take off once it has set. Kind of use it like super glue I guess. Clean up as you are using it and do not get any between your frames and the fiberglass. You may regret it later on when trying to remove the frames again.

When putting your port frames back on, you can use Butyl Tape (get it from Maine Sail) or use Dow 795. Maine Sail has a site that shows how to replace ports but it can also be used to reset your ports as you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.