Windex bent up

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Well, today I had to drop the mast at the dock to unbend one arm of my Windex. Somehow it got bent up at about 45 degrees. I'm guessing that some bird or flying dragon ran into the thing.

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Yer danged Windex prolly damaged that bird, and for what? So you could tell which way the apparent breeze was ablowin'.
My Windex was in pieces on my deck when I showed up two weeks ago, and still is. Don't really need it, don'tcha know? ;)

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
It probably did give the bird a headache. Come to think on it, there was white stuff all over my sail cover too. I wouldn't use the Windex but I kept peekin up the mast at it trying to figgr why it was so cock-eyed lookin. the spinney thingy was stuck on the bent thingy and it was pointing to the port bow so, before I knew what was going on...I backed up halfway down the lake with my sails set for some other direction. The thing is that the wind wasn't payin one bit o tention to my wind vane OR to my creative expletives. The gulls do take their work seriously here at our docks.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Yeah, I was working @Kermit boat in my yard the other day but Kermit cleaned it up. I was wondering what one item was till he told me. The only thing I wonder if that long green frog tongue did the cleaning. No seagulls where we were but just darn looking mountains. The other day two big birds flying low level with my back porch past by but no camera when you need it. The were called USAir Force C 5's and watching them banking sharply to miss the mountain in front of me. That was a sight.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
@Bilbo, most folks have seen the picture of my boat. If you haven't I'll post it again. Yours comes closest to matching what the osprey did to mine. Trust me, I feel your pain!

Edit: I take that back. Yours wins. The amount of poop per square foot looks about the same but you have more square footages!

Attachments

Jul 6, 2017
Catalina 22 MKII Providence RI
Bilbo, had to comment, I was just now searching for info on the backstay and came across a 2007 post you made. You got a rather blustery reply from someone named KEN, thank goodness most people are not as rude as he was.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Well, that was ten years ago ST. I may have found that post. I don't think that this Ken (or Joe) were responding to my post but to the one above. I've not changed my opinion on the backstay and the pig tail. The reason is that a few years ago I tried a cascading boom vang. Heading to dock when the main sail was down, I applied too much force to the vang. The boom was attached to the pigtail & the pigtail clip wasn't seated properly & it failed, the boom hit my wife in the head while she was operating the tiller and outboard. She was ok... but we actually went to emergency and she was given an MRI because she could have had a concussion. This was my worst mistake so far (knock on wood) in our boat and since then I've removed that stronger vang setup. We do take our sailing seriously and try to be safe aboard but that was a mistake that won't happen again.

As a side note, that discussion was also about a topping lift. I don't have one. I use a boom Kicker and it's been great for about 8-10 years now.

Last edited:

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
a decade ago. Ken was an active member and he was somewhat incisive but I'm not much interested in stirring an old pot. :)

BTW: The instrtuctions for that backstay that he didn't read are now located at the bottom of this page here:
http://www.c22pdx.org/200006-2

It included tapping the Bronze reinforcing plate without cutting any hole to tighten the bolt.

Last edited: