wind indicators/depth/speed suggestions?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For years I pined for instruments. When I got them I found them to be not as great as I imagined. I do like a chart plotter (Like the Navionics app) and a VHF. But now that I don't own a boat I use mostly handhelds: VHF, hockey puck style compass, handheld anemometer, binoculars, and GPS. I take them with me when I guest crew, rent a boat or use one of the sailing center's boats.
The good thing about wind instruments, is that they teach you to judge the wind and after a while you don't really need them. If you race the speed (SOG and STW) are pretty much required. Wind angle is nice but a pencil or shroud with the dreaded cassette tape works too! They are a lot more sensitive and you don't need to look up as much which is nice for your neck and keeping your eyes on the race course is an asset.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
5th time sailing. Still can't sail but this made it way easier...

View attachment 198365
May want to consider relocating your “heal gauge” to the centerline of the boat for acurate readings. I had my Signet depth sounder refurbished with a new gauge face and push button and calibration at Signet in CA. Cost about $300. Cheaper than a new one and you don’t have to figure out how to fill a 4” hole in your bulkhead because the old style Signets are larger that new versions.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
As a fellow 26S owner, let me start by saying "congratulations". It is the best boat for me, and I have fun doing mods.

I use a Windex, and taking it on and off when stepping the mast is done quickly and easily, though on a few occasions I have forgotten. In such cases yarn, cassette tape, or the like tied to the stays is helpful.

As for an electronic wind vane, I would think you would want to remove that for trailering as well. A simple Windex would be more dependable, I think, and not come with the hassle and uncertainty of electrical connections.

Since you are stepping and unstepping the mast a lot, I would like to point you to a mod I did that saves me tons of time, requires less effort, and is safer than the standard block and tackle solution. This allows me to work from the bow of the boat with both feet on Terra Firma during the processes. (Click here to follow link)

The top seven items at the mods page are mine, and they have added to the enjoyment of my boat significantly.

Congrats again. Oh, and if you don't have a 150% Genoa, get one. In light wind, it can be the difference between sailing and drifting.