Engine

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Just identify the location where you need to drill, place some masking tape down and drill through the masking tape to prevent cracking the Gel-Coat. Use a bit just a little larger than the bolts you will be utilizing. Don't worry you will not sink the boat.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
We use our boom, with a set of blocks to hoist out 149# 20HP motor up and over the rail. I made a harness for the motor.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
For lifting I have thought of but have not fabricated as of yet an arm which would easily connect to the boom and extend far enough back to be used as a engine/MOB recovery lift.
We use the boom as the MOB recovery lift. We swing it out over the side to lift them up, over the lifeline, and onto the deck.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It does not mean that the loss or abandonment of the dinghy, should that occur, will shut down your cruise. You'd just have to acquire another one along the way. :doh:
If you can afford to be in a marina slip every time you want to go ashore or have the budget to walk into a marine chandler and pay top dollar for a new dink and motor, your cruise is not going to mean sitting on the boat hailing passing dinghies for a ride ashore and waiting at the dinghy dock begging rides back; a real pain.
However, unless you are unusually lucky (and if you are run out and pick up a lotto ticket) finding a replacement dink and motor is no easy task. Few folks are selling great used dinks in the middle of the season, so at best you'll probably find some beat up, old, leaky inflatable or RIB without a motor or one that is a headache. Buying one of those certainly won't add to the pleasure of your summer cruise.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
For many years, I nearly always carried two dinks and two outboards. Not equal, of course. But if I lost the principal one, or its outboard stopped working, I’d have a back up. One has to decide where the weak links are for a successful cruise and service them first. A roll up 8.5’ (less expensive PVC) inflatable w/a 2 to 4 hp outboard stowed below as back up to the main one would come before many other things people think they need to be “well outfitted.” Right now I have 3 dinks and 3 outboards, but lately I’m carrying just the 9.5’ inflatable RIB w/the 5-hp Tohatsu (4 stroke). It depends on where I’m cruising, and what services are near, what I carry. There are always dinks and outboards on craigslist. True, some may be a bit worn out, etc. But not all of them.

Last edited: