WINCH PARTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
We've been having a warm spell here in NJ, so I decided to pull the winches off the Merry Bee for cleaning. I found a couple of the bearing cages broken, so I'm now on the hunt for parts. There is only one set of holes in the deck, so I'm guessing that these are the original winches that were supplied on the 1973-vintage M28O/I. My first contact was Catalina in Florida (generally recognized as 'THE SOURCE' for old Morgan stuff), but they've never heard of this brand. The winches in question are labelled: "TELO SELF TAILING WINCH" , model 220, and were mfd by Woolsey Marine Industries, Inc. So far, all I've found is that 'Woolsey' is a brand of Marine paint! I was hoping that someone on the list might have some ideas. Thanks in advance... Jim & Barb Ocean Gate, NJ

W

Warren Milberg

I've never heard...

... of the winches you have, but the following may help. On a previous boat, I had some small Barient winches that had been neglected by the PO and needed some basic parts. Barient, perhaps like the company that made your winches, is out of business. Since I had some Lewmar rebuild kits on hand, I tried the parts in the Barients. They worked perfectly. So....you may want to ask some friends with other winches if you could try some of their parts in your winches just to see if, by chance, they might fit. Another option is to replace them as they certainly have done their jobs for a lot of years. I've had good luck replacing relatively small winches with used ones from consignment shops (like Bacons in Annapolis and online) and on eBay. I prefer the consignment shops as you can tell if the winch works well or not pretty easily. Sure beats the price of new ones.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 34 Forked River, NJ
Bearings store

There is a shop on Route 9 (1889 Route 9) Toms River,that may be able to help you, take the old one with you, or better yet, take the entire winch. Their phone is 732-914-9200 Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.