winch maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter

I bought a used C22 that came equipped with Barlow 15 winches. Are these a standard brand for this boat? Where can I look to find out how to remove, clean, lubricate, and re-install these puppies? Based on some earlier discussion in this forum, I don't want to guess my way through this. Thanks!

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Standard?!

I believe it depended mostly on whatever Frank Butler could get a good deal on at the time. Your winches may be standard for that year but who knows. Doesn't really matter in the long run (although 15s seem a little large to be stock for a C22). You can go check out a book from the library on boat maintenance (any of them will do) & guaranteed it'll have a chapter on repacking your winches. If you have one on your shelf, better yet. But if neither of these options appeal, read on: I'm not specifically familiar with Barlow 15s & their various parts & pieces but most smaller winches are similar enough that it doesn't matter much. The neatest trick I've seen is cutting a hole out of the bottom of a cardboard box the diameter of the winch. Fit it over the winch & proceed to disassemble. If any errant part pops off, it (hopefully) will get caught in the box. Start by removing the C-clip at the top of the winch. This should allow you to take the drum off. At this point you'll either see round drum bearings or you won't (depending on the winch). Sometimes they stick inside the drum itself so be VERY careful. At the base of the winch you'll see spring-loaded pawls. VERY carefully (with your hands shielding them) take them out without popping them overboard. Clean all the goopy items in kerosene, mineral spirits, etc. Don't use anything really harsh like lacquer thinner or acetone. Clean them all up & regrease everything but the pawls with winch grease (white lithium works fine too & is considerably cheaper). After reinstalling the pawls - be sure to put them in the same direction - dab a little machine oil on them. Reassemble everything and voila! Freshly repacked winches!!! A helpful hint: Only do one at a time so you can use the assembled one as a guide for reinstallation - all those little parts can get confusing after scrubbing them all down. Ok, so this was a little simplified but it gives you the basics. It's not difficult & I actually enjoy it (I know, I'm a freak). LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.