• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Will someone please call Mother Nature?

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
And tell her the Atlantic Hurricane Season is officially over!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You know, I talk to her all the time. She always has a moment to listen to me, but then I just get a condescending pat on the head and a "maybe someday you'll be old enough to understand." whispered in my ear, and she goes on doing what ever she wants anyhow. It can be really frustrating. It's like I'm just talking into the wind. :banghead:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
And tell her the Atlantic Hurricane Season is officially over!
Weather forecasting is inherently probabilistic, empirically so. “Season”, therefore, is just the period over which the hurricanes are highly probable down to a certain point. Hurricanes and TP can form whenever the conditions are right.:eek: Mother Nature’s reply!!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great news @Benny17441 you have not missed it yet.
And due to your good fortune you can still spend your money on Black Friday.
This is like a twofur. Might as well go for the trifecta. Buy a lottery ticket for Wednesday power ball. This could be your month :yikes:

:beer:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Beautiful day today. Calm winds, 70's, slight clouds to filter Sun. Excellent beach day. We're supposed to have this for some more time.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Someone must have called her here in So. Maryland. It was the warmest November sail I’ve had since I got my boat. Unfortunately, I’ve now turned her in for winter dry storage.

Oct 22, 2014
No sailing here. Mother Nature announced she was opening the freezer door. The chill being shared by our Canadian friends will flood down the Fraser Gap an fill the Puget Sound basin with below freezing temps over the next several nights.

Drove up to the boat to be sure SV Hadley was ready for the opening volley of chilling air to begin the 2019-2020 winter.

The work Les and I completed in early November has the boat dry and the engine empty of fluids.

I just need to set up the winter heater. Take some measurements for new projects. Remove the Mainsail for winter storage (fortunately the day is dry). Do some clean up.
Spend the night and head home to let the holiday celebrations to begin.

Oct 22, 2014
It was 37 this morning as I locked up the boat. 45 and sunny yesterday as I removed and bagged the mainsail.