Will Miss the 26D. Seen a Mac 19 for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
As most of you know, I had put my Mac 26D up for sale to fund the purchase of my next boat, a Mac 19.

I couldn't have found a nicer guy to sell my 26D to and he will shortly be joining this forum and introducing himself. Luckily he's an engineer by profession and will be able to accomplish the Rotating Mast Mod that I was working toward.

I needed to move to a smaller boat so I will start my hunt for a MacGregor 19. If you see any great deals on 19's please don't hesitate to private message me.

I wanted to publicly thank Oreana (John) for making me that great Pop-Top Cover which I passed on to the new owner who will get great use out of.

So I'll hopefully be still seeing many of you on the forums and maybe even sailing with some of you when I find my 19 ;)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
...I needed to move to a smaller boat so I will start my hunt for a MacGregor 19. If you see any great deals on 19's please don't hesitate to private message me. ..
Congrats on selling the D if that is what you wanted to do. So you are moving to a power-sailer? You don't see many 19's for sale. An interesting boat,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/macgregor-links-1.html[/FONT]

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Congrats on selling the D if that is what you wanted to do. So you are moving to a power-sailer? You don't see many 19's for sale. An interesting boat.
Thanks Sum! Yes the Mac 19 is a rare boat and will be hard to find. If I don't succeed in finding one locally, I may have to expand my search to other boats.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Mac, did you ever get to sail the 26D???

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Mac, did you ever get to sail the 26D???
Sadly no. :-(

I found myself without the know-how and skills to complete the rotating mast mod and I was in it too far to turn back. Thankfully I found an engineer interested in continuing and finishing.

I sold it for a loss but at least I sold it to someone nice who will make her an amazing boat.

I've never owned a sailboat before this one and have never sailed on my own. I learned that I should have started out with a smaller boat that was ready to sail.

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
If you don't have much experience, why don't you expand your search to include a Venture 17? It's not a planing boat but unless you have the need for speed, that looks like a good manageable boat. I think it was Hollyweirdos who got one and did a lot of work on it. And I seem to remember that Sumner mentioned that he and Ruth were considering one for small lakes.

There's an M19 in our yard that never gets used. The tiller arrangement looks very complex - it connects to two rudders and the motor and I wonder how well it handles the strain.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
...There's an M19 in our yard that never gets used. The tiller arrangement looks very complex - it connects to two rudders and the motor and I wonder how well it handles the strain.
I agree. They also are going to have the expense of the larger outboard, but you could put a small on on one. The only advantage I see is that they have a lot of room below for 19 feet. I have a feeling they probably don't sail that well also and they are not cheap boats. In the same price range as a S and more expensive than a D,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
If you don't have much experience, why don't you expand your search to include a Venture 17? It's not a planing boat but unless you have the need for speed, that looks like a good manageable boat. I think it was Hollyweirdos who got one and did a lot of work on it. And I seem to remember that Sumner mentioned that he and Ruth were considering one for small lakes.
Not a bad idea. My goal is to stay away from weighted swing keels. I would prefer either water ballast or shoal draft (non-weighted swing centerboards are fine). Which small MacGregor was offered in fixed shoal draft keel?

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
- mby a laser/sunfish.
easier to learn on a small boat. easy to resell and holds value.

you might see if any sailing clubs rent small boats for their races. we do and its only10 bucks.

-not sure who makes a wb boat under 25'

I'd suggest a v22 nice boat, feels larger.

for the cost of the engine on a M19 you should be able to get a v17-23

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
+1 on the laser/sunfish, Mr Bill. Mac, you gotta get out on water man! You spent this whole season trying to complete an irrelevant mod for a novice sailor and didn't get to sail her. Get something ready to go, and don't get wrapped around the axle trying to modify it before you sail it.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Good price on a M19 would be 4 to 7. 10 is too high, unless you are selling at that price. Lol

Dogleg

Nov 10, 2012
macgregor 26s Canyon lake
26d is a sailboat with a motor, 19m is a motor boat with a sail. Two different types of boats in my opinion. but it's all where your mind is at I suppose. :)

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Agreed! 10 is way too high. That's 26X territory
I have as 19' Arriva speed boat with a 150 HP on her. If I could find a mac 19 for a good price, I might toy with the notion of switching engines and selling my speedboat. A mac 19 with a 150 HP engine would be interesting. May not sail very well afterwords???? Might to too much weight in the stern? I know a mac 26x with a 140 has been done, but I have not read about how it sails.

Status
Not open for further replies.