whoops...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
so, in the process of encapsulating some high quality marine okume with resin...I didn't add enough hardener. what do I do with my sticky wood?

Bob V

Mar 13, 2008
Catalina 42mkII Lagoon Point
acetone is the solvent that works.

but it won't be a fun job.

C

Chris

If you give it...

...another coat of resin with the right amount of hardener, it will bond with an cure the first coat. Keep it all warm!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
What flavor resin ? epoxy or polyester?

It matters when it comes to choosing a solvent.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
I went with the hot-coat

i did some quick research, and applied a coat of resin (polyester) with a little extra hardener. hopefully it sets up good and hard this whole job is a pile of not-fun..replacing a rotted out section of a bulkhead. I guess it would be less fun if I was replacing the whole thing (the glassed-in battery tray was apparently FILLEd with water. I dropped my battery about 8" onto it (reaching way down into the lazarette) and it smashed through all the way to the bottom along with a lot of water!! The bulkhead adjacent to the box was all rotten down low. I cut away the rot, dug the fiberglass tabbing clean, and cut my plywood to fit into the tabbing snug with the old good wood. I'll extend the tabbing up another 4" to cover the seam, and all should be good. I also move the battery box! (perhap I will post a photo album?)

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Brian that should do the job. A little 3M 5200 on the existing tabs is

a good thing to do.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The ONLY place for 3M 5200 on any boat

is the hull to deck joint. Just repeating myself.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Stu, Gonna lock horns with you here. No less a man than Alan Vaitsis

recommends that loose tabing be reset in 5200 and fastened with screws. He had his own yard and made the transition from building wooden boats to building and repairing fiberglass boats.

Jun 12, 2004
Allied Mistress 39 Ketch Kemah,Tx.
Brian M: I have a question

Do you have a rough idea of how 'short' you were on the hardener. Adding a 'hot coat' on top may only give the illusion of curing the undercoat. The hot coat on top will definately cure, leaving a cured hard finish. It will adhere to the surface only of the uncured resin underneath. That will leave you with a hard cured surface over a possibly uncured subsurface. All 'appears to be OK, but there will still be a serious adhesion problem. Your substrate (plywood) may be 'floating' in a thick jelly like semi- hard concockion. Your piece will be sufficiently sealed, but I hope you are not counting on any surface strength suah as tabbing. Be ware of quick fixes. Tony B

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Tonyb, Generally if you get any catalyst

into polyester resin it will eventually cure completely .It can just be excrutiatingly slow.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
Brian, If it is an unwaxed Polyester resin like gel coat,

It will be forever sticky if it is not covered with spray on pva or plastic wrap. They used unwaxed resin when laying up. The sticky surface was a good primary bond for the next layer of lay-up a hour to a day later. Sound like you did the right thing if it was waxed polyester resin. I bet you are singing "getting to know you" to the boat right now :). Hope things go better. r.w.landau

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Brian..

No biggie.. It sounds like you inadvertently bought laminating resin or "un-waxed" resin. It is meant to remain tacky for laminating and laying up. Simply buy some "finishing" or waxed resin and go over your tacky stuff with a "hot" coat (a couple extra drops of MEKP based on temp etc.) and it will cure hard.. Finishing Resin

Dec 8, 2007
Irwin 41 CC Ketch LaConner WA
I have noticed

That after sufficient time even un catilized resin spilled from the pour spout on top of the gallon can will cure hard....I have no idea of it's strength properties....Just thought Id mention it..*o Knowing this I once thought about injecting plain resin into a soft transom of an old fishing boat to stop the rot and stiffen it up..I was going to try and rig a pneumatic grease gun with some sort of needle point...but didnt peruse it all the way through...I didnt want a catalyzed resin due to work time limits interfering with repetitive reloads of the grease gun with resin....I still think it would work..

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
mmhm

yeah, the "sticky" stuff was getting starting to get hard, but it was just really sticky! I am replacing the worst of it, and after it is done, trying a product (made by elmers) called "rotten wood stabilizer" on the not quite so bad stuff - drill a hole and try to inject it? It can't hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.