Who built this version of the Islander 32?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
Does anyone know who designed this boat? I'm having a heck of a time getting the right info. It is almost the same as the Iona 32, but my registration says Islander, and I have the Cosmodyne brochure that says the new Islander 32 MKII ? Some have said it's a Gurney design, but I think it looks more like something from King or Finch.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Ask Old Skool Neil, he has lots of history with builders and likely can give you some good info.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
was either perry or gurney. bruce king did the ericsons.

Mar 15, 2013
Thanks every one for the quick reply! I don't think it's a Perry design, even though it has a finn keel, there would have been a hint of it in one of his books. It doesn't look like a McGlasson design either? I'll post a couple more pictures of when I bought the boat last year.It's in the yard getting some major work done in preperation for adventures in Desolation Sound.

Thank's again for the input....Scotty.

Attachments

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Captn Scotty said:
Thanks every one for the quick reply! I don't think it's a Perry design, even though it has a finn keel, there would have been a hint of it in one of his books. It doesn't look like a McGlasson design either? I'll post a couple more pictures of when I bought the boat last year.It's in the yard getting some major work done in preperation for adventures in Desolation Sound.

Thank's again for the input....Scotty.
It's one of the older islanders from the 60s 70s era .... Before the newer model design change very popular 80s models came out.... 35 + years ago brought a similar 30' islander down from lake Pontchartrain La. To kemah tx. We motor sailed down most of the ICW towing a sea plane while having thanksgiving dinner on board! :dance:
The more older models had a look that was at first glance looked like some of the older 36' to 40' Morgans of that time..

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i donot know who designed the pre 1970 islanders. yours is pre 1970. pretty boat..mine was a 1979 perry design bahama.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Gosh, I love your boat! You are very fortunate. Love Islanders. I knew OS Neil would be able to help you!

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Except for it's not the same boat. 4 ports in cabin side. Need to look at the Scottys pics.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Ports come and go and may have changed (don't know for sure) over the production run or over 50 years of various ownership.

I'm comfortable with my identification.

edit:
except Scotty mentioned a fin keel, not comfortable about that at all. Don't like the different deck either. Forget everything I said for the time being.

edit 2:
Scotty, are you sure it's actually 32 feet? The only thing I can find that comes close to your description and picture is the Islander 37, designed by Bruce King.
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1716

Thanks Woodster for getting me to look deeper.

I knew of only two 32 footers produced by Islander: McGlasson (1963) and Bob Perry (1976) and I was dead certain your boat was not the Perry.

Mar 15, 2013
Hello everyone! Just got back from Mexico, had to recharge the batteries after a long Wet Coast winter! Thanks again for the continued interest in my designer quest. I put a couple more pictures in to show the finn keel and skeg hung rudder, as well as the forward raked stern. It doesn't look like anything from Mr. McGlasson, and the other odd thing is that all others of this type I've found, as well as mine, are considered 1977 vessels? The plot thickens! It seems I may have to give the esteemed Mr. Perry a phone call?

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.