Whisker pole on a Mac 25

jbrock

Jul 12, 2009
Macgregor 25 Regent Point Marina, Virginia
Has anyone installed a whisker pole for downwind sailing on their Mac 25? What would be involved (besides getting a hold of one)? Not sure how it fits to the boom, etc. Thanks.

Justin

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Blue Water Yachts, who specialize in Macgregor parts, sells whisker poles for MacGregor and mast attachment. Of course, any marine parts store sells them. They recommend a telescoping pole (6'-12') for all Macgregor models. They stock these poles with latch fittings on both ends as we have found the "spike" style poles tend to come out of the sail grommet if the sail shakes a lot or goes slack. Instead latch securely onto the leeward sheet. Everything is included in their kit for all boats except for 26M. If you have a 26M you must add the additional mast padeye bracket. It fits up to the mast, not boom. Refer to the attached instructions.

Attachments

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
It attaches to the mast, not the boom. It is pretty straight forward though. I got an adjustable one from West Marine, I would not mount the plastic ring though, get a stainless one. Mount it about as high as your clew is when your head sail is out. Drill and hand rivet gun, shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Get your pole length where you need it, tighten it, wrap some white e-tape on it to keep it in that position. You may need a loop of line in your clew to clip it on. Not rocket science, you will figure it out.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
For my Mac 26S, which is very similar to a 25, I use one from Forespar that I think I bought from Blue Water Yachts. My installation is quite simple, with the bracket supplied by Forespar riveted to the front of the mast. I don't use a topping lift or anything like that, I just snap the end fitting onto the ring at the clew of the foresail. I don't remember how I decided on the height of the (fixed) mast bracket, but I know that I consulted a few different references on the web and then made a not-very-educated guess. It works fine.

I happen to have a selection of aluminum, structural aircraft rivets left over from an unfinished airplane project so I attached the bracket with those. But I think it came with rivets that are probably perfectly fine.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
And when you're tired of it always being in the way, when not in use, install an aluminum tube between the cockpit and head wall for the pole to slip into. always quickly accessible when needed, yet out of the way when stowed :)

P1030414.jpgP1030415.jpgP1030417.jpg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Nice! Any issues with water entry?
Nope. I figure if lake water gets up to that level I have a bigger problem :yikes: and for rain the tube is plugged in the forward end and calked where it fits in the cockpit wall. :)

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Nope. I figure if lake water gets up to that level I have a bigger problem :yikes: and for rain the tube is plugged in the forward end and calked where it fits in the cockpit wall. :)
lol yeah I was thinking of rain. On principle I'd consider a plug for when the pole is out, as that close to the edge could allow flooding on a knockdown.

Storing the pole up the mast seems good if the mast is always up. Your solution seems perfect for a trailer boat.

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
lol yeah I was thinking of rain. On principle I'd consider a plug for when the pole is out, as that close to the edge could allow flooding on a knockdown.

Storing the pole up the mast seems good if the mast is always up. Your solution seems perfect for a trailer boat.
Water can't enter the cabin through the tube, as the forward end is plugged.